New to Real Estate · Memphis, TN · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 3 votes
What kind of person would you look for when hiring an on-site maintenance guy for an apartment complex?
Would you train someone with no experience?
I’ve got an interview for a maintenance worker position at an apartment complex. It’s going to be with 3 maintenance supervisors over a group of complexes and they’re going to ask about my handyman skills. It sounded like they wanted a guy skilled in HVAC, plumbing, I can’t do all that. I have a basic understanding of it and want to learn. But I can paint walls, change/fix appliances, drywall, pretty basic household maintenance.
This seems like a great job to get first hand experience while I’m getting through college and saving for investments.
What would you say I need to do to be better prepared for this interview?
What kinds of things should I familiarize myself with?
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
6y
@Benjamin Williams can you do basic plumbing? Most apartment stuff is really repetitive. You might say you can do things like change a faucet, change a toilet, replace a P trap, etc. These are the types of repairs apartment owners normally run into. Most of us outsource the bigger jobs to a local plumbing company.