Why I am looking to new construction as my strategy right now!

Why I am looking to new construction as my strategy right now!

Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 19 votes

For years now prices have been rising faster than rents in most places, meaning cap rates have been compressing, which lowers returns. I don’t have a crystal ball and have no idea what real estate will do in the coming months and years. After spending the past months and years stressing out that suitable deals were getting so rare, I can tell you that I am done trying to fight so hard in the fishbowl with much larger fish than myself. I am going to build deals from the ground up, where the competition is vastly lower and returns significantly higher.

The pro’s:

I am getting a brand new building that I am certain of the construction technique/building codes.

Maintenance will be as low as possible, besides in a NNN leased building.

Besides the contracting company (whom I am happy to pay for their knowledge) I am getting the building at cost, instead of using a cap rate valuation. I have come up with in my pro forma about a 10+ cap, which flat out does not exist in today's CRE market.

LTC on construction loans is much more favorable than commercial purchase loans, and usually have the better rates and terms as well…obviously banks prefers new construction.

The con’s:

The speed in which I start to receive a return is slower than if I were to buy a building that was leased already.

The number of steps and base of knowledge needed for a new build is much higher than buying a built and leased property.

Leasing a new build, especially in our new environment, may be a slow process, which could be costly.

All in all, I have decided to take on new construction projects going forward. That is not to say I have stopped looking for good deals on already built properties, but it is no longer my only strategy and is no longer causing me angst!

What are your thoughts?  Strategies?

Cheers!

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @John Stewart:

    For years now prices have been rising faster than rents in most places, meaning cap rates have been compressing, which lowers returns. I don’t have a crystal ball and have no idea what real estate will do in the coming months and years. After spending the past months and years stressing out that suitable deals were getting so rare, I can tell you that I am done trying to fight so hard in the fishbowl with much larger fish than myself. I am going to build deals from the ground up, where the competition is vastly lower and returns significantly higher.

    The pro’s:

    I am getting a brand new building that I am certain of the construction technique/building codes.

    Maintenance will be as low as possible, besides in a NNN leased building.

    Besides the contracting company (whom I am happy to pay for their knowledge) I am getting the building at cost, instead of using a cap rate valuation. I have come up with in my pro forma about a 10+ cap, which flat out does not exist in today's CRE market.

    LTC on construction loans is much more favorable than commercial purchase loans, and usually have the better rates and terms as well…obviously banks prefers new construction.

    The con’s:

    The speed in which I start to receive a return is slower than if I were to buy a building that was leased already.

    The number of steps and base of knowledge needed for a new build is much higher than buying a built and leased property.

    Leasing a new build, especially in our new environment, may be a slow process, which could be costly.

    All in all, I have decided to take on new construction projects going forward. That is not to say I have stopped looking for good deals on already built properties, but it is no longer my only strategy and is no longer causing me angst!

    What are your thoughts?  Strategies?

    Cheers!

    This is and has been my primary business model my entire career. I do infill development, ground up and adaptive reuse. It's a great space and strategy but also requires deep pockets, serious expertise and a strong stomach. You need a calm consistent demeanor and the ability to handle and solve problems and you have to effectively deal with lots of different personalities. You must become a visionary leader that inspires results from others. Once you master these skills to you can do very well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    @Greg Dickerson

    That is great! I appreciate the advice and I will definitely check out your business!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.