Multifamily Financing (Small loan, Rehab, 3 Yr Experience)

Multifamily Financing (Small loan, Rehab, 3 Yr Experience)

Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP!

I have lurked these forums for years and found connections here that I've contacted outside of posts with great success. I'm looking for some questions answered so I don't continue to melt my mind through researching small local bank info pages.

I have a few questions around MF financing in Chicago and any answers or references would be great!

  • My partner and I have been DIY rehabbing a 4 unit in the area over the past 2.5 years and have done a pretty good job netting 6k/month gross on a 500k property in a good area with room for rents to increase more. Will experience be an issue with receiving a commercial MF 5+ loan?
  • We make pretty good salaries at our day jobs outside of RE - making a combined 17k/month gross. I've heard this is meaningless for Commercial MF - is there any value in our incomes?
  • We are going to be looking for a small MF loan. I've heard this is relatively difficult, but through enough calling around a small local bank may be willing to put up with this small loan. Any tips or pointers on this piece? The property I'm looking at would be around 600-800k
  • One property I'm interested in may require some rehab work. I'm not willing to do hard money and would rather just look into financing options with longer balloon periods - any suggestions on where I should look? Also, I realize that fannie/freddie have some rehab loans but I'm pretty sure they are $1M+ minimums

Any thoughts or answers would be appreciated! Happy to add details where needed and clarify something as I'm pretty consistently lurking here. Also open to any war stories on the topic.

Thanks!
ZR

    0Reply
    10 views

    1 Reply

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6y

      @Zack Reder

      Unlike with agency debt that is pretty similar from lender to lender; small multifamily lending differs greatly from institution to institution. The best way is really to create a list of local banks and credit unions within say an hour drive of the property and contact them all. I have found 25 year, fully amortizing, fixed rate debt on small mixed-use properties using this technique (I guess you would call it that). Also, you will save on the broker fee (just a bonus).

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.