Magic number for leaving w-2 job

Magic number for leaving w-2 job

Member since 2019 · 182 posts · 45 votes

For those of you that have left W-2 job wondering at what point you felt comfortable doing that, was there a certain magic number you had to have, did you have a plan in place before leaving, did you ever look back, what did you end up doing, and how did you manage getting health insurance. I am in engineering/project management and like my job, but sometimes wonder when can I be independent regardless.

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Arta Montero

You have to create your own benchmarks and adjust them as you go. We started out thinking we would be done with w-2 when we had 7 properties. We now have 11 and we are just getting to the point of leaving the w-2 for good. (I've been part time for 2 years)

Set a goal and adjust.

Make sure to enjoy the journey as you go!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 182 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    @Lane Kawaoka did you achieve a certain number from a real estate standpoint

  • Member since 2019 · 182 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    @Bryan Mitchell I been working for about 15 years.

  • Hampden, ME · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    My goal is to leave my job when my real estate portfolio makes me twice my current income.  I chose this because i want to continue building momentum at a good pace. If I just replace my current income then I am back at the starting line without a lot of disposable income. So I want to double it while also reducing my monthly expenses. I also want to make the switch in the next 4-5 years (by about the age of 35).  I am also an engineer and I love engineering but I think I personally don't like as someone said before running around the hamster wheel looking for treats. I want to do my own thing and enjoy my life on my terms. I know this isn't quite the answer to the question you asked but maybe it helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.