4plex househacking to start out with investing as first property

4plex househacking to start out with investing as first property

Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 3 votes

I'm getting ready to start REI through multifamily house hacking. I'm thinking triplex or 4plex if the price is right. Since I don't have enough saved up capital to buy a fixer upper, what are your thoughts on starting with a turnkey company to acquire the first property. This way I can get started and once my savings grow an little bit I can probably mix up house hacking with BRRRR and grow my portfolio that way. This is my first post on BP, Any tips or directions would be appreciated

0Reply
11 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Mohamed Amine Khalladi

    Investing in a turn key property is NOT the way to increase equity and capital.

    Check with an FHA lender.
    I believe you can get an FHA loan on a duplex triplex or fourplex provided you live in one of the units.

    You can then buy with like 3% down.

    FHA has a 203b program where you can roll fix up costs into the loan. I know you can do a 203b for a single family house, you need to check on 2 to 4 unit deal.

    I would much rather see you own some units, live in one unit, get owner occupied rates than buy a turn key rental. Plus you will need 20% to 25% to buy turn key rental SFR.

  • Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Arn Cenedella that is my starting plan actually is to have an owner occupied fha loan on a multi family to start with. I didn’t know that turnkey properties don’t qualify as such and you need a more traditional down payment. I guess I’ll keep looking until I find a deal that makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Mohamed Amine Khalladi

    The MF house hack is much the better idea.

    My other suggestion would be to get with an FHA lender and get preapproved.

    You need to assume some rental rate for the other units.

    So say it is a fourplex and the three other units rent for $800 a month, what purchase price are you qualified for.

    Get some sense now how much rent you need to collect for what price?

  • Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Arn Cenedella that’s along what I’ve been thinking, to do reverse math and see what would make sense for 3/4 rented units accounting for expenses and vacancy. And from there come up with my affordability range and what would make sense as an investment

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.