How Can I buy a property without a job

How Can I buy a property without a job

Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 21 votes

Hello BP,

Just graduated college last year as an engineer and right now I am having a really tough time finding a job. In the meantime I have been reading a lot of investing books and I am very passionate about getting my first deal in. However, I have a limiting factor in my way which is not having a job hence not being able to finance any properties.

I do have cash saved up for a down payment but I was wondering what is the best way for me to buy a property with no job. Please any and all feedback is welcome.

Even though this may be a “limiting factor” I never limit my mindset. I know that there is a way for me to buy a property; whether it’s partnering up with someone, having a co-signer, or hard money lender (possibly ?), but I just want to hear what BP has to say.

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

I would focus on getting an engineering job first. What is the focus of your degree? Have you had people in your proposed dream job critique your resume and Linkedin profile? You don't want to put yourself in a position where you end up in a financial mess. Where do you live?

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    Conventional mortgages are likely out of the question. They require pay stubs and sometimes W2s or tax returns. Next bet for you would be partnering with someone (you contribute to the DP) who does have some of basic qualifications a lender looks for or a co-signer. Final option would be a HML but they will charge for the risk premium.

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I would focus on getting an engineering job first. What is the focus of your degree? Have you had people in your proposed dream job critique your resume and Linkedin profile? You don't want to put yourself in a position where you end up in a financial mess. Where do you live?

  • Real Estate Investor · Springfield, MO · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    People buy houses all the time without traditional jobs, but to do so they have to use non-traditional means.

    First, what kind of property is this: SFH, 2-4 plex, small apartment, etc?

    Next, who is likely to lend on that and why?  How much income will it generate, and if you're living there will that be enough to cover debt service and still leave you with a cushion?

    Finally, what costs are you prepared to pay and what's your timeline?  Hard-money is usually expensive and short term: mostly useful for rehabs and only good for 6 months max...maybe 12 if it's a steal of a deal, which is hard to find in the current market.  Owner financing is usually a cheaper and more flexible option if you give them enough down payment to make evicting you and any tenants a happy-happy deal for them (i.e. they're happy whether you pay or get foreclosed on).  Another thought would be a lease with exclusive option to purchase: you pay rent for X-months and give the Seller a fee to reserve the property for you to purchase sometime in the future at a price you agree on today, and at the end of the lease you hopefully have your job and can buy the property using traditional financing.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    @Seb Ko Yes definitely not even thinking about conventional financing. I am most defiantly thinking about a partnership but most of the people I know are very risk averse and don't like investing their money. 

    @Caroline Gerardo Industrial Engineering. I live in SoCal

  • Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    5y

    A way that we have been able to get into properties creatively is through seller financing. These are hard to find but wholesalers sometimes have these opportunities. You could also try to go direct to seller yourself and structure the deal in a way that works for you- if you are not to familiar with the strategy it may not be the best way to get your first but it is a great way to get started. 

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I can't find you on Linkedin

  • Lender · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 99 posts · 64 votes
    5y

    @Masood Amin

    Plenty of private/collateral based lenders who care little about borrower income when making a secured loan.

    Bringing on a partner is not a bad idea in my experience, however, as long as you have a good deal on hand, you end up giving more of the deal to the partner than you would comparatively with a lender.

    I've never heard of a private lender charging a risk premium due to lack of employment, learning something new every day!

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    I think you are looking at this in the wrong way- sure, there are lots of ways to finance properties without a conventional loan, but in most cases, a conventional loan is the best bet. 

    You say you haven't been able to find a job, do you mean as an engineer? Employers all over the country are desparate for employees- even restaurants are paying signing bonuses for wait staff. If you can't find a job as an engineer, get a job doing something else- literally anything else. It doesn't have to be a career, you can still search for an engineering job at the same time, but there's no reason that anyone should be unemployed right now. 

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 193 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    @Masood Amin partnering with someone could be a great option for you especially if you are newer to the industry. In addition, a HML but they do charge. When partnering with someone make sure you build a relationship first because end of the day it is not just about the property, it is about the partnership.


  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    @William Costello

    Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been looking for a partner for a while now but everyone I know is very risk averse and unmotivated. If you have any connections feel free to share my name I can send you my number if you PM me

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 193 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    @Masood Amin have you thought about syndication before?

  • Real Estate Syndicator · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 903 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Masood Amin Get a job. I'd focus there first as it will make everything else much easier getting started. However, some lenders will work with you if you have the down payment and a good business plan for an investment property. Presenting the projections and future income matched with existing leases or rent rolls on a property has worked. This is demonstrating property income or the business plan. You will be better off however having other forms of income to back this up, ie. a job or business.

  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    @William Costello

    I am not familiar with that. Can you explain what that is ?

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 193 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    @Masood Amin it’s essentially a partnership of multiple investors who pool their resources together

    to pursue an endeavor that they themselves could not, or would prefer not to do themselves.

    There is a Sponsor or General Partner for the project, who is the active

    investor puts the deal together and is responsible for executing the business plan, and then

    there is a group of passive investors, the Limited Partners, who contribute capital in exchange

    for equity in the project.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.