Shutting Off Garage Electric If Tenant Isn't Paying

Shutting Off Garage Electric If Tenant Isn't Paying

Investor · San Diego · Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 60 votes

Hi BP community! I know you aren't allowed to shut off utilities in a tenants unit if they are not paying rent. I am wondering if you are able to shut off utilities for a tenants garage if they are not paying their rent. This property is in Chicago.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Benjamin Sussman:

Hi BP community! I know you aren't allowed to shut off utilities in a tenants unit if they are not paying rent. I am wondering if you are able to shut off utilities for a tenants garage if they are not paying their rent. This property is in Chicago.

 If it is part of the property they occupy as a condition of their lease, I'd almost guarantee the answer is no. It still amounts to self-help eviction measures which all states (to my knowledge) prohibit. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin Sussman:

    Hi BP community! I know you aren't allowed to shut off utilities in a tenants unit if they are not paying rent. I am wondering if you are able to shut off utilities for a tenants garage if they are not paying their rent. This property is in Chicago.

     If it is part of the property they occupy as a condition of their lease, I'd almost guarantee the answer is no. It still amounts to self-help eviction measures which all states (to my knowledge) prohibit. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Benjamin Sussman it is annoying and tempting when tenants don't pay. The judge will order you 'boiled like a frog' if you do that!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I would not recommend doing that.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.