Real Estate Professional · Novi, MI · Member since 2012 · 73 posts · 8 votes
Does anyone have experience with multifamily and fire sprinkler code? I'm currently rehabbing a 4 unit in Detroit and my plans have been stuck in plan review due to fire plan drawings. When I spoke with the inspector he made it sound as if there are scenarios where you don't have to add fire sprinklers. To do that, you'd have to be able to point to and site the specific code and exemption in your plans. Has anyone ever experienced this scenario or have experience specifically in Michigan with Michigan Rehabilitation Code.
Architect · OH · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
5y
I'm an Architect with 25+ years of experience licensed in OH and NC. All states' building codes are based on the International Building Code, (including Michigan). There are many ways to trade the use of sprinklers in a building. Sprinklers are usually required where you have a high occupant load (number of people). A 4-unit building does not have a high occupant load. The inspector is correct. You stated that your plans are "stuck in plan review due to fire plan drawings." This sounds as if you have already had some fire plans done. Is that correct? Has the building department sent you a correction letter stating that sprinklers are required? I'd be surprised. I can, however, see a letter stating there are fire separation issues that need to be addressed. Feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your situation in more detail.
Architect · OH · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 3 votes
5y
I'm an Architect with 25+ years of experience licensed in OH and NC. All states' building codes are based on the International Building Code, (including Michigan). There are many ways to trade the use of sprinklers in a building. Sprinklers are usually required where you have a high occupant load (number of people). A 4-unit building does not have a high occupant load. The inspector is correct. You stated that your plans are "stuck in plan review due to fire plan drawings." This sounds as if you have already had some fire plans done. Is that correct? Has the building department sent you a correction letter stating that sprinklers are required? I'd be surprised. I can, however, see a letter stating there are fire separation issues that need to be addressed. Feel free to reach out to me directly to discuss your situation in more detail.
Architect · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2018 · 681 posts · 476 votes
5y
@Dino Herbert states it well. You're going to have to prove that your units comply with the current code. If you want to avoid sprinklers, then other changes will be necessary to mitigate fire spread by means of fire rated partitions, separations, etc. Did the inspector quote any Codes for reference. If you have engaged an architect, this would be right up their alley of services.
Jared Smith, RA - Principal Architect @ Architect Owl PLLC