Pro Member
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Cost to Builder for New Construction

Amy Ka
Pro Member
  • New York City, NY
Posted Jan 17 2024, 13:11

Hi, Can someone tell me the cost to a builder/developer to build a new construction single family home? I'm trying to figure out the costs per sq ft to a builder to build a house before they turn around and sell it to a buyer. The type of house would include viking appliances, hardy board, and Andersen windows for example. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 17 2024, 13:50
Quote from @Amy Ka:

Hi, Can someone tell me the cost to a builder/developer to build a new construction single family home? I'm trying to figure out the costs per sq ft to a builder to build a house before they turn around and sell it to a buyer. The type of house would include viking appliances, hardy board, and Andersen windows for example. Thanks!

Our market on filed permits averages $140 per sq ft for builder grade. The finishes you talk about without land I'd say will be $200 / sq ft 

User Stats

Votes
Amy Ka
Pro Member
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jan 17 2024, 15:25

Thanks @Robert Ellis! Just to confirm this is for Long Island and not Ohio? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jacob D Cockerell
  • Appraiser
  • Leitchfield, Ky
Votes |
  • Appraiser
  • Leitchfield, Ky
Replied Jan 17 2024, 15:31

The Marshal and Swift cost handbook gives average cost to build houses. Has all types and for every region in the US. Even has adjustments for type of materials you can use. 

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Santella
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn & Long Island NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn & Long Island NY
Replied Feb 7 2024, 16:11

I am a realtor that works primarily with investors/flippers/developers in Brooklyn NY, and sell properties all throughout Long Island. For a developer construction costs in Brooklyn are about $350-375 buidable sqft included soft costs, labor, material. If he is using higher end material and appliances, use the later $/sqft. I would assume Long Island is very similar in pricing, but maybe slightly less expensive. These numbers come straight from one of the developers I work with in Brooklyn.