What Are The Steps To Finding Land To Build On?

What Are The Steps To Finding Land To Build On?

Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2013 · 251 posts · 30 votes

Hello. My family and I are trying to get started on a journey to find land to purchase and build our homes on. I’m wondering how I should go about starting this whole process? How do I search for land? What strategies do I use? How do I go about pricing out a build? How do I put together a business plan for this? What professionals do I contact? Etc etc.

0Reply
27 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 101 votes
    2y

    @Rashad S.

    Is this house for investment or simply a place for your family to live?

  • Real Estate Agent · CO · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    @Rashad S. One thing you might start with is contacting a real estate agent specializing in land in your area. There's lot of land listed online same as homes as well. From a land buying perspective there is quite a bit that goes into it which is why I recommend working with someone that specilizes in land in your area. Things to look out for off the top of my head: Is there any flood plain on the lot? What do utilities look like, how far away is power, is there public water or will you need to drill a well, etc. What is the current zoning for the lot and does that zoning allow you to do what it is that you're trying to do? As far as pricing out a build I would put a call out to a home builder in your area and chat with them about average cost per sq ft to build in your area to give yourself an idea. You could also take a look at modular construction. Hope that helps a bit 

  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940 · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 319 votes
    2y

    I would speak to a local realtor that can advise for what to build that would be in demand 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.