Hi All,
The more I learn about land flipping, the more I am intrigued. I have some general questions I am hoping to get answered to point me in the right direction.
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Any and all tips are much appreciated!
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
Answer: Yes and No. If you already come with the experience (i.e) r/e background experience, don't need one. Most courses will be the same as others, picke a county/state, scrub the mailer, and send out the mailer. Your all in cost for a course will probably be 1k entry + monthly cost. Use that money for marketing instead.
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
Answer: Best to use a funder, for the 1st couple of deals to get experience and get a 2nd opinon on pricing. Keep in mind that some funders come at a premium and in the land space this means 50% in equity to them. After a couple of deals and you get the hang of it, def use your own capital.
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
Answer: Yes, I did this while working full time. I am an accountability group with most folks who run this gig part time. Just treat it as a side hustle until you are ready to give it a go full time, or if you like your ft gig, just keep doing this on the side!
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Answer: Yes, you could start with FB ads, Google Ads, Cold calling, or calling FSBO's from Zillow or buying lots from auction. None of these require that much capital!
@Ian Radcliffe
The BreezyLand Team has been in the land business for 4+ years and does land flipping/wholesaling and minor developments to sell to home builders.
We went through all the ups and downs, did mailers, text msgs, cold calling, ringless voice mails, the works - until we had enough of that cash bleeding. There is another, much less stressful and less costly way.
We also JV with private capital partners and land flippers to deploy prefab modular homes on our acquired and subdivided properties.
If you need any guidance, feel free to connect with me here, on FB, or LI.
_
P.S. And yes, after holding back for years, we're launching our first beginner land-developing course shortly. Stay tuned ;-)
@Ian Radcliffe
The BreezyLand Team has been in the land business for 4+ years and does land flipping/wholesaling and minor developments to sell to home builders.
We went through all the ups and downs, did mailers, text msgs, cold calling, ringless voice mails, the works - until we had enough of that cash bleeding. There is another, much less stressful and less costly way.
We also JV with private capital partners and land flippers to deploy prefab modular homes on our acquired and subdivided properties.
If you need any guidance, feel free to connect with me here, on FB, or LI.
_
P.S. And yes, after holding back for years, we're launching our first beginner land-developing course shortly. Stay tuned ;-)
Hello Ken , I would love to contact you
Hi Ian,
In a recent episode of the BP podcast I heard saying one of the host (I don't recall who was), that he started making a deal with an investor with no money but he will do all the work. The caveat here was that it was family.
So answering your questions:
- A course could be good, but I haven't done any, always my recommendation is to have your hands dirty. Start low if possible, offering yourself to the companies, and listen a lot of podcast from people that did this.
- Partner is always better, but to put your name out there you have to do it yourself. All depends on your goals.
- It is possible, but it will be long hours.
- Walk the neighborhood and knock the doors, the conversion is greater but you have to be there.
Everyone wants to try and sell you a course. Plenty of free options out there to learn the business and get your feet wet and start taking action. Once you've figured out if this is the business for you, plenty of paid options out there. I started using my own and close family members money. Now I do a mixture of my own, family, and partners money to do deals.
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
Answer: Yes and No. If you already come with the experience (i.e) r/e background experience, don't need one. Most courses will be the same as others, picke a county/state, scrub the mailer, and send out the mailer. Your all in cost for a course will probably be 1k entry + monthly cost. Use that money for marketing instead.
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
Answer: Best to use a funder, for the 1st couple of deals to get experience and get a 2nd opinon on pricing. Keep in mind that some funders come at a premium and in the land space this means 50% in equity to them. After a couple of deals and you get the hang of it, def use your own capital.
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
Answer: Yes, I did this while working full time. I am an accountability group with most folks who run this gig part time. Just treat it as a side hustle until you are ready to give it a go full time, or if you like your ft gig, just keep doing this on the side!
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Answer: Yes, you could start with FB ads, Google Ads, Cold calling, or calling FSBO's from Zillow or buying lots from auction. None of these require that much capital!
Hi All,
The more I learn about land flipping, the more I am intrigued. I have some general questions I am hoping to get answered to point me in the right direction.
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Any and all tips are much appreciated!
you don't need a course. how much do you have to put into land? land entitlement is very simple. I think the biggest value driver is entitlement not buying and selling land.
@Ian Radcliffe Regarding your question, I think it depends on the individual. Yes, the information is out there. It's just a matter of finding it and putting it all together.
What a course does is put everything together sharing the stories and experiences of someone who has done it. Personally, I've bought plenty of real estate courses in the past. Some have been great while others not so good.
Though, I'd say - there were some things I learned in these courses that saved me both time and money. I don't think there's a perfect course out there with all of the information you need. Though, it's a start.
As long as you do your own due diligence on the course and the instructor teaching it, it may be worthwhile if you don't have the time to go out and find all of the information yourself. Also, you have the person teaching it as a resource should you need additional help in the future (depending on the course).
If you're interested, feel free to DM and I can send you some land flipping resources for beginners.
Hope that helps!
@Ian Radcliffe Regarding your question, I think it depends on the individual. Yes, the information is out there. It's just a matter of finding it and putting it all together.
What a course does is put everything together sharing the stories and experiences of someone who has done it. Personally, I've bought plenty of real estate courses in the past. Some have been great while others not so good.
Though, I'd say - there were some things I learned in these courses that saved me both time and money. I don't think there's a perfect course out there with all of the information you need. Though, it's a start.
As long as you do your own due diligence on the course and the instructor teaching it, it may be worthwhile if you don't have the time to go out and find all of the information yourself. Also, you have the person teaching it as a resource should you need additional help in the future (depending on the course).
If you're interested, feel free to DM and I can send you some land flipping resources for beginners.
Hope that helps!
Dear rachel , can i DM you regarding this post ?
Hi All,
The more I learn about land flipping, the more I am intrigued. I have some general questions I am hoping to get answered to point me in the right direction.
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Any and all tips are much appreciated!
land flipping without entitlement plan is risky. I'd focus on entitlement, highest and best use, appraisal, rezoning, strategies that developers and land entitlement firms use like us to drive value to the land. there is strong interest in entitled land
I started my land business a few months ago myself, working it as a side hustle but I can definitely see it going full time in the next 12-18 months.
Personally, I've never taken a real estate course so it's hard to answer that one. IMO I would skip out on a course but that would be based on your comfort level jumping in
Using your own money? depends on how much and your goals. If your just looking to start slow and have 10-15k or even 5k id say just try and land a deal in that price range. My first land deal I had UC for $900 plus 2k in back taxes and 1800 for my attorney to close it out. That sold for 15k. You can scale from there.
As far as mailing goes, I hate mailing. We do it. My partner takes care of all the mailers. I Email blind offers. If you wanted to get your feet wet with out mailing, subscribe to property radar for roughly 100 bucks a month and that includes 250 owner emails per month. I use many different filters but typically start with the basics of out of state owners who have owned for a while. I simply email them an offer, let them know we can close remotely and to just reply back if they are interested. Just closed on one from an email a few weeks ago we purchased for 32k and it's going up on the MLS today for 80k
Hope some of that helps!
Hi All,
The more I learn about land flipping, the more I am intrigued. I have some general questions I am hoping to get answered to point me in the right direction.
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Any and all tips are much appreciated!
Hey Ian!
The first thing I would do is try to find some people that already do land flipping in your area and try to collaborate with them and try to add value to them as much as possible! Even if they do not partner with you, they can probably mentor you and show you what they do! I'm more of a relationship guy and that is what works for me! If courses work better for you then start with a course! Some capital will be required from your end regardless if you use private money or not! There will always be points and interest payments.
Hi All,
The more I learn about land flipping, the more I am intrigued. I have some general questions I am hoping to get answered to point me in the right direction.
- Is it worth buying a course (seems like there are plenty out there) or should I just dive right in without one?
- Should I use my own capital up front or try to partner with an established land flipping business to fund the deals?
- Is it really possible to do this while working a 9-5, or is it something you need to go all in on and quit the 9-5 to pursue?
- Is there another way to make this business model work without sending out direct mailers that could cost tens of thousands of dollars each year?
Any and all tips are much appreciated!
1. yes, you can do land flipping while working a 9-5 just like you can become a local real estate developer in your community while working a 9-5.
2. the less time you have the more strategic partners you'll need on your team to execute
3. there are a lot of courses out there and I'd recommend talking with a land flipper and/or their team prior to buying the course just to make sure expectations are aligned
There are quite a lot of other nuances around it but if you're curious and you do some research you can definitely make it happen.
I happen to be a RE developer for the past 17 years and am finishing my course now on becoming a Local Real Estate Developer in your community. So I had a lot of respect for people who take the time to create courses to share their knowledge and expertise with others!