VA One-Time Close / Construction Loan in Los Angeles area

VA One-Time Close / Construction Loan in Los Angeles area

Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP Community! 

I am researching VA OTC loans in Southern California (Los Angeles County).
Currently in the military, and will be getting out in May 2026. I and my spouse are planning on buying a small multifamily and house hack. On public websites, I see some options to acquire a duplex in central Los Angeles under $550K which would require at least another $50K of work if I do not outsource most of the labor. I am taking a salesperson license exam this year to get into the industry and use these commissions toward closing costs. I think it would be the right direction since we already decided to buy using a VA loan and live in SC. 

Now, the VA Construction loan is something I discovered recently. I was amazed at how good this type of loan is. Naturally, I wanted to find out whether we would be able to build a brand-new fourplex in Los Angeles County. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find enough information on how to use this product in California. I have heard you have to own land with all permits and engineering completed before closing on the construction loan exclusively in California. 

With that being said, I am trying to find out if new construction is even possible and what it takes to build a small multifamily in the LA area. 

0Reply
17 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · All 50 States · Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    @Vladislav Bobkov

    Hey Vladislav.  Dustin here with The Veteran Lending Team.  

    Yes the VA OTC loan is a great product. To answer your question, yes you can build a duplex, triplex or even a quad plex with the VA construction loan. As far as any specific requirement on California I would need to do some research for that.

    I do have a handout with the basic overall requirements on the VA OTC loan. Let me know. I would be happy to send it over to you.

    Now I will give my opinion on buying a four plex verses building one. The build process to include funding can be quite lengthy and difficult. The build will be more expensive then buying outright. Part of that is adding additional cost for increase in building products. The VA will not allow you to make payments during the build process. My lender will charge an extra 5% just for the risk being undertaken during the build process.

    I am happy to help in any regard.  Feel free to reach out.  We can hop on a call and work through your options.

    Best

    Dustin A. Wilkes

    The Veteran Lending Team 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.