Spec build financing question – trying to understand what’s actually realistic

Spec build financing question – trying to understand what’s actually realistic

Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi all — I’m hoping to get some perspective from people who’ve actually done spec builds and navigated construction financing.

Some background: my husband and I have excellent credit, strong W-2 income, and we own both our primary residence and an investment property (outright). I’m planning a single-family spec build and am under contract on a lot, with the land closing scheduled for after permits are complete.

Initially, I explored HELOC / equity options to buy the land, but after talking with a number of lenders, I've realized the real issue isn't HELOCs — it's how construction loans are structured and timed. What I'm trying to understand is whether this can realistically be financed as a single land + construction deal, where the construction loan closes at the same time as the land purchase and the land value is credited toward the equity requirement, instead of needing a large amount of cash in upfront.

What I keep hearing from many lenders is “buy the land first, then we need 15–20% cash,” which may be their policy. But I also know there are lenders (often portfolio or builder-focused) who underwrite this differently, even on specs.

I'm not looking for HELOCs, DSCR loans, or retail construction products. I'm genuinely trying to sanity-check:

  • whether people here have successfully done spec builds where land value satisfied most or all of the equity requirement,

  • what types of lenders actually do this today (community banks, builder lenders, private lenders, etc.),

  • and whether there are obvious red flags in how I’m thinking about this.

I’m very open to hearing that this is harder than I expect — I just want an honest read from people with real experience before I go further.

Appreciate any insight.

0Reply
424 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
7mo

land is your equity.. you need to pay cash for it  the heloc works as long as your not up against DI ratio issues.. 

Experience though is also key. first one is tough. The GC will need to be very good as well lender does not want to get stuck with a house that is poorly built if for some reason they have to take it back.

Back in the day builders with experience could get an advance of 80% ARV and that many times covered land and built so they needed NO Cash.. But after the GFC the banks and lenders realized no skin in the game was bad Idea.

I would be talking to lenders before you close on the land if thats the only way you can go vertical again experience matters a ton in this type of lending. 

Myself if its my own project I always pay cash for the lot that makes my loan go through very smoothly. As the lots I buy are expensive enough to meet the equity requirement.. 

I also provide capital to those that want to build as a JV partner and what that is I will put up the money to buy the lot then they get a loan using the equity I provided. Now this is not first position lending its equity participation so my return is substantially higher than what a first position lender would make on a loan. But the risk is higher as well. So risk reward from my side and my clients I do this with are allow to scale as they have little to no cash needs they only need to make the payments on the construction loan.. So for example I close on 3 lots back east (Carolina's) so my client could get scale and build 3 at once instead of 1 and stretching his cash..

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    This is a very good and very common question, and you’re not wrong to be thinking about it this way. The disconnect usually isn’t borrower strength, it’s how construction loans actually behave once they close.The key issue is timing. A construction loan starts accruing interest the moment it closes, not when construction begins. If plans, permits, or approvals are still in progress, you are paying construction interest while nothing is being built. At today’s rates, that idle time can eat up a surprising amount of money before a shovel ever hits the ground. This is why many experienced builders prefer to buy the land with cash if they can. Owning the lot outright gives you control and flexibility. You can finalize plans, work through permitting, and lock in a real scope of work without the interest clock running. When you later apply for the construction loan, that owned land is applied as your equity or down payment, which is exactly how lenders like to see it. When lenders say they need 15 to 20 percent down, they’re usually talking about proven equity, not projected value. Land that is already owned and seasoned is real equity. The biggest misconception is that rolling everything into one loan saves cash or reduces risk. Often it does the opposite by increasing carry costs and reducing flexibility during the most unpredictable phase of the project. Buying the land first with cash and then using that land value as the equity for the construction loan isn’t a rule, but it is a strategy that exists for a reason. It usually leads to lower interest burn, cleaner underwriting, and a smoother build overall. We do a ton of these types of loans and it's really best to buy the last first and then work on your plans and permits vs doing them into one loan and burning interest with all the idle time. I wish you well. 

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    This is very helpful. Thank you, Doug. When you mention cash to purchase the land, do you think that using a HELOC from another investment property will satisfy most construction lenders for the 15-20 percent down? I guess I'm struggling with the "cash" thing and wondering what counts as "cash" in the construction lenders' eyes. Thanks!

    • Doug SmithPro Member
      Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Shana Hirsch:

      This is very helpful. Thank you, Doug. When you mention cash to purchase the land, do you think that using a HELOC from another investment property will satisfy most construction lenders for the 15-20 percent down? I guess I'm struggling with the "cash" thing and wondering what counts as "cash" in the construction lenders' eyes. Thanks!


       You can if you need to and then use that equity in the land as your down payment. Typically, we're going to use the current value of the land as the down payment after you've owned the land for 6 months. It will likely take at least that long to get your plans, specs, and permits together anyway. Why pay interest while you wait? Interest eats up profit. 

  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7mo

    Very helpful insights. Thanks!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7mo

    land is your equity.. you need to pay cash for it  the heloc works as long as your not up against DI ratio issues.. 

    Experience though is also key. first one is tough. The GC will need to be very good as well lender does not want to get stuck with a house that is poorly built if for some reason they have to take it back.

    Back in the day builders with experience could get an advance of 80% ARV and that many times covered land and built so they needed NO Cash.. But after the GFC the banks and lenders realized no skin in the game was bad Idea.

    I would be talking to lenders before you close on the land if thats the only way you can go vertical again experience matters a ton in this type of lending. 

    Myself if its my own project I always pay cash for the lot that makes my loan go through very smoothly. As the lots I buy are expensive enough to meet the equity requirement.. 

    I also provide capital to those that want to build as a JV partner and what that is I will put up the money to buy the lot then they get a loan using the equity I provided. Now this is not first position lending its equity participation so my return is substantially higher than what a first position lender would make on a loan. But the risk is higher as well. So risk reward from my side and my clients I do this with are allow to scale as they have little to no cash needs they only need to make the payments on the construction loan.. So for example I close on 3 lots back east (Carolina's) so my client could get scale and build 3 at once instead of 1 and stretching his cash..

  • Rodney MenendezPro Member
    Developer · South West Florida · Member since 2020 · 74 posts · 53 votes
    7mo

    Spec build financing is definitely available, but what’s “realistic” depends heavily on your experience, liquidity, and exit strategy.

    From what we see working with investors and doing specs ourselves:

    1) First-time spec builders = tougher terms
    If you don’t have a track record, expect to bring more cash. Most lenders want to see prior builds, resale history, or at least strong liquidity.

    2) Typical leverage
    Realistically you’re looking at:

    • 70–80% LTC (loan-to-cost)
    • 20–30% cash in the deal
    • Interest-only during construction

    Some lenders will stretch higher, but usually with recourse + strong balance sheet.

    3) They underwrite the exit hard
    For specs, lenders care more about resale comps than rent. If your projected ARV isn't well supported, leverage drops fast.

    4) Carry reserves matter
    They’ll want to see you can cover interest payments, overruns, and holding costs if the property sits.

    5) Vertical + horizontal costs
    Make sure your budget includes site work, impact fees, utilities, fill, permits, etc. — lenders underwrite total project cost, not just the house.

    6) Do NOT close on your construction loan before permits are approved
    This is a big one. If you close before permits are issued, you start the interest clock while waiting on the city. Delays happen — revisions, comments, impact fee adjustments, utility reviews. That holding cost can eat your margin fast. Ideally, have permits in hand or at least fully approved and ready to issue before funding the vertical loan.

    7) Experience lowers friction
    Once you’ve built and sold a few, terms improve quickly — higher leverage, faster draws, better rates.

    Example from our market (SWFL specs for investors):
    SFR or duplex specs usually finance around 75% LTC. Investors bring the land equity + part of the build, then either sell at CO or refi if rents support it.

    Biggest tip:
    Have your comps, builder contract, plans, timeline, and permit status dialed in before approaching lenders. The more turnkey the package looks, the easier the approval.

    Spec financing is real — but it rewards operators who treat it like a business, not a one-off project.

    — Rodney | Turnkey Builder-Developer | SWFL

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2026 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3mo

    I would look at this less as “can I find a lender?” and more as “what would make this project feel financeable and controlled?”

    For a spec build, the lender is probably going to care about more than the land value and projected ARV. They are going to want confidence that the project can actually get built, finished, and sold without the budget or timeline getting away from you.

    The things I would want buttoned up before shopping it around are:

    1. Confirmed zoning and allowed use
    2. Permit path and realistic permit timeline
    3. Full plan set or at least a very clear scope
    4. Line-item construction budget
    5. Backup bids for major cost categories
    6. Utility, driveway/access, drainage, and site-work assumptions
    7. Contingency for overruns
    8. Draw schedule
    9. Exit strategy with conservative comps
    10. Clear plan for who is managing inspections, corrections, and closeout

    A lot of people focus on the vertical build cost, but site work, utility connections, plan revisions, inspection corrections, and delays can be what actually make the deal feel risky.

    I would also be careful using best-case resale numbers when talking to lenders or partners. If the deal only works with optimistic pricing, low contingency, and a clean schedule, it may be tighter than it looks.

    Not saying it cannot work, but I would package it like a controlled construction project, not just a land-plus-ARV opportunity.

  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 317 posts · 156 votes
    3mo

    Think of it from a lenders pov. Why would they lend on a speculative project to a borrower with no experience building and exiting new construction projects?   The only thing that stops the buyer from defaulting is the cash they have in the deal. The asset securing the loan is a vacant piece of land. 

    So, how does one start in spec building if they cant get financing. 

    First off. You can get financing.  It Just wont be ideal terms. High rates. High points and hefty cash in the deal. 

    You mentioned a heloc.  Thats an excellent way to get the first one done. You control the money so bo bank hoops to jump through. The bad part is also you control the money so if you dont know what you are doing then you may give it away.  Banks usually hire inspectors to verify construction is being done to get draws. If its a heloc there are no checks and balances so if you pay someone without work being done correctly, there is no one to stop you.  

    Anyway  ive heard of some hard lenders financing up to 50% of the land and 100% of construction  its expensive money, but its cheaper than an equity partner


    if you have the option id go with the heloc  when you have exited 3 properties hard terms get more competitive with banks.  They want your business 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2026 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    3mo

    Good breakdown. One thing I'd add: lenders don't just look at the borrower's track record — they also look at who's actually swinging the hammer. If she brings on an experienced local builder as GC (even if she stays the developer/owner), a lot of banks will underwrite off the builder's completed-projects history instead of hers. That can open up a normal construction loan at normal terms without needing hard money or maxing out a HELOC — worth asking about before assuming she's stuck in the "no experience = bad terms" bucket.

    Also worth flagging on the HELOC route: it's usually variable rate, and if the build runs long (which specs often do), that exposure compounds on top of construction risk. Fine for a controlled first project, but I'd go in with a defined rate-risk ceiling in mind, not just a budget ceiling.

    And to close the loop on her original question — yes, land + construction can absolutely close as a single deal with land equity counted toward the down payment/equity requirement, that's a standard construction-perm structure. The land just has to appraise clean and be free of other liens going in. That part isn't the hard part; the builder/borrower experience question is what's actually driving her terms.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.