Comps for Land Acquisition

Comps for Land Acquisition

Jorge RuizPro Member
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2025 · 29 posts · 5 votes

Hello BP,

I have recently been looking into the land wholesaling space. Is there an app and/or software for using comps before making an offer? Since I am starting out I am looking for either something free or budget friendly. Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your responses.

All the best,

Jorge

0Reply
31 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Charleston WV · Member since 2026 · 242 posts · 131 votes
    9h

    Jorge, I’d start with Zillow and look for land-only comps, especially recent sold properties. Try to match the location, acreage, zoning, road access, and utilities as closely as possible. Asking prices can give you an idea, but sold prices are more useful.

    Once you have a reasonable estimate of value, you could start with offers around 50%–60% of that number and see what kind of response you get. That’s just a ballpark starting point—you still need enough room for your buyer and your fee.

    Make sure you’re up to speed on your due diligence before committing. Verify legal access, zoning and permitted uses, utilities, survey and boundaries, floodplain or wetlands, and any liens or back taxes. A cheap piece of land can get expensive quickly if you miss something.

  • Virtual Assistant · Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    9h

    If you're just getting started, I wouldn't spend heavily on software right away. I'd first focus on learning how to compare similar parcels based on location, acreage, zoning/use, access, utilities, topography, and recent comparable sales.

    I'd also make sure the comps you're using are actually comparable in size and characteristics rather than relying only on the closest properties. Once you understand that process, you can decide whether you need a paid platform for faster research.

    Since you're starting out, I'd be interested to hear what market you're looking at. The best option for researching comps can depend quite a bit on the county/market.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.