how to structure partnership with developer for 3 houses on my tear-down double lot

how to structure partnership with developer for 3 houses on my tear-down double lot

Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes

Hi all- my very first deal, and it's been a roller coaster. Bought a house at auction, turns out to have a mold problem inside and asbestos shingles outside, and pretty crappy construction, but a prime location and double lot. 

Have met with a high-end developer who proposes I bring the land (once I've torn down the house) and he brings the clients and design/GC/development. I would get market value for my land, he'd get his 18% markup on construction costs for the houses, and we'd split any profit over and above that 50/50. He's extremely well regarded in this area and has done some beautiful work. 

I think it's a great option for me to make a little bit of profit off the land and then learn a whole other side of the business (watching him do the development) and maybe make a bit more money depending on how it goes. He's got several clients ready to build in the area if he finds a location for them. He's done a similar mini-neighborhood nearby and it's been a real success. He told me- you find the lots, I will build on them. It all sounds really interesting to me. 

Am I overlooking something here? Would LOVE some opinions and suggestions on how else to look at this.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
11y

Same thoughts as @J Scott. Assuming you paid cash, he's looking at the two of you putting the land up as the"equity", and financing the construction, which of course will place a mortgage on the land.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Is he bringing all the cash for construction?  Is he going to pay you market value for the land before construction starts?

    Sounds like he's getting the better of this deal...

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Same thoughts as @J Scott. Assuming you paid cash, he's looking at the two of you putting the land up as the"equity", and financing the construction, which of course will place a mortgage on the land.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 212 posts · 107 votes
    11y

    18% is a rich cut to give him before splitting profits. You're basically financing his land cost by contributing it at market value if you don't get paid until the end. I did a similar deal recently and contributed the land in exchange for pro rata profit split based on cash builder put in for build costs.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    The clients building the homes would finance the construction. He doesn't put any money into the deal, he oversees the design, permitting, construction etc. and adds 18% onto the construction costs. I figure I will end up valuing my land (purchased cash) at around market value, which would be about an 15% profit over what I will be all in for once I add up the cost at auction, legal and recording fees, and the demo.

    He wouldn't buy the land from me, it would be bought, as I understand it, by the individual client who wants to build on lot A or B or C. thanks for the questions, it's helping me think through this. Having been in real estate investing for about 20 minutes, this is all new!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    If the land is local, feel free to shoot me a PM or an email and I can probably help you with numbers and ideas.   I live in Ellicott City and have built new construction here...

  • Rental Property Investor · Dunedin, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    Thanks J. The land in question is in Tampa Bay but we also have some land in EC that I might like to discuss with you- will send you a PM assuming I can figure it out....

    @Account Closed I didn't understand what "pro rata profit split based on cash builder put in for build costs." means- this is a whole other language!

    Other ideas on deal structuring are welcome- I may be doing some more of this land getting for him.

    thanks to all- I started reading BP and J's books about 4 months ago and now here I am, about to go look at my second investment property, a rental. What a resource!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.