Land and New Construction financing

Land and New Construction financing

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 15 votes

Hi folks, 

Got an opportunity to pick up 5 lots in existing neighborhoods from same seller.  Seller has been building houses but will be returning to Medical School in July of 2016.  ALL TAP FEES ARE PAID.

He will give me a juicy discount on the land if I buy all five, and a lesser discount for picking single properties.

What I want to do is buy them, and build houses one at a time.  But first, I need to find out how much to pay.  I had a newish real estate agent run comps in the neighborhoods. I see the surrounding house comps ($130k - 179k range for AVM), but cannot determine from the comps what the raw land is worth, save for the meaningless county assessment.

I was told by the seller (a broker himself) that the general rule is 25% of what the new house would sell for.  On the other hand, a long time investor told me that I should be looking at $25 of the cost to build (figuring a 2100-1300 sq foot home at around $35/sq ft).  Which rule do you use?  

On top of all that, I'm not necessarily penniless, but do not have the capital to buy the lots, let alone build homes.  I understand that land is hard to find private money for, but I still would prefer to develop these lots rather than wholesaling them.  I keep asking myself "what's in it for an investor in the land?".  How do I get investment money on 5 lots, then turn around and get investment money on the builds too?

0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
10y

You need to know how much it will cost to build a house on each lot, and then subtract that cost, plus your fixed costs and your desired profit, from the ARV.

That is what you can pay for each lot.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 452 posts · 309 votes
    10y

    @Raphael Cuthbertson If you have neither the capital or the experience to develop the lots, you're unlikely to be able to get financing for the project.

    If I were you, I'd find a builder that might be interested in them and wholesale them to them. If you want to learn the business, offer to waive your wholesaling fee in order to shadow his GC or project manager.

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Thanks Lynn!

    I actually shopped the lots to a buyer and none of them appear to be worth looking at.  

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    Price per SF on the internet is a pretty useless discussion. Prices very so wildly from region to region its simply impossible to compare. They also very between builders, for example I know my cost per SF in my area is lower than a bunch of the new guys that just popped up, because they don't have the buying power, experience, or relationships I have. Stuff like that doesn't happen overnight. 

    I have seen plenty of new houses in the $180k range all over the country so clearly someone is making money doing them. The OP needs to do research themselves in their area. Its not as simple as saying land should be X amount of the finished house, that is a good very general guideline, but that's about it. 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 15 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Field:

    Price per SF on the internet is a pretty useless discussion. Prices very so wildly from region to region its simply impossible to compare. They also very between builders, for example I know my cost per SF in my area is lower than a bunch of the new guys that just popped up, because they don't have the buying power, experience, or relationships I have. Stuff like that doesn't happen overnight. 

    I have seen plenty of new houses in the $180k range all over the country so clearly someone is making money doing them. The OP needs to do research themselves in their area. Its not as simple as saying land should be X amount of the finished house, that is a good very general guideline, but that's about it. 

     Oh I agree that talking with people from other areas is pointless for build prices in my area, which is why I asked around with builders, developers and the like here in Charlotte.  They all held steady at around $80/sq average.  The land price of 25% of finished house value was given me by the seller.  I'm obviously not familiar with what land for developers should cost here, so that was the first formula I got.  Still, not going for these lots.  I will however, ask him about wholesale possibilities and what price points he could offer for me to find buyers for each lot.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    If he bought in 2008, there's a good chance that he bought before the market crashed and was basing his purchase on much higher ARV. And if the market hasn't rebounded to the previous higher numbers, it likely hadn't been worth for him to build.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    I know I am late to this party. However, I am still interested on getting the answer for how to acquire financing to purchase a lot of land and build a new construction duplex on it.

    Anyone have suggestions on how to approach building a new construction duplex in Houston TX? Is there a certain name to these type of loans?

    Experience: I've completed my first BBBR property with a 800sqft addition to the existing structure. My partner has 5+ years experience in building $400k-3m new construction townhomes and SFR flips all over Houston. He works for his builder company but he is not very savvy when it comes to financing.

    We want to build some rental property of our own since that would be a new challenge for the both of us. Also, majority of BRRR prospect properties are quite a struggle since they require the same amount of effort, but the reward of a new construction duplex can provide a better return.

    Cash $40k

    New construction cost for the duplex: $160k

    ARV: $250-260k

    Land cost: 5,000sqft and 10,000sqft, $35k and $60k respectively

    -No I do not own the land out right, I want to know if there are loan options out there to acquire the land and pay for the new construction. If not, do I have to do 2 loans- one for the land and the other for the new construction?

    -I am low on capital, I can't put all of my money to purchase the land and not be able to front the funds for the construction process 

    -I've spoke to 6 hard money lenders and it seems that all of them only lend if I own the land

    -Anyone have any referrals on lenders that offers this kind of financing?

    Thanks in advance!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.