My plan to become a Real Estate Developer - what's your take?

My plan to become a Real Estate Developer - what's your take?

Williamsburg , VA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 1 vote

Hello BP members,

I am currently 19 years of age, and I will be 20 in October. I have been fascinated with the creativity of RE development ever since I was about 17, and from that point until now, I have done a lot extensive research about property development. The more and more I read and see about a new a project, I feel an urge of fascination and excitement. So with that said, just a few months ago, I decided that becoming a real estate developer would be my career of choice. Now is my master plan to acheive my intended goal that is currently nothing but a dream.

Where will you start or begin at the age of 19? 

Do to the fact that I have limited funds, I will start out wholesaling. I feel as if wholesaling will defiantly get me started in the industry not only as an investor but mostly importantly it will allow me to build entrepreneurial experience, which is key as an investor. After wholesaling properties for a while, I will use those funds to fund my first fix and flip, which brings up my next step!

What's you're next step, how will you gain more experience?

Well, one of the many things that I love about real estate development is the fact that there are multiple ways to legitimately become a developer. Many start off by getting hired by a development firm, or, becoming general contractors, lawyers, real estate agents, property managers, or rehabbing properties and selling them for profit. The last option that I just listed in the previous sentence is the menthod of choice that I will take, after acheiving success as a wholesaler. After doing plenty of research, I have came to the conclusion that flipping houses would be the best way for me to gain experience. I say that because as an entrepreneur, you're now learning how to manage and oversee a project. Plus, flipping houses is the same thing as developing real estate, but on a much smaller scale, and personally, I learn a lot better by doing. After flipping houses successfully many times over, I plan on partnering with an experienced residential developer as a joint venture for my first few small residential projects. I will use my successful flips as a track record to show my success inn real estate. From that point on I will try to grow my portfolio into larger, more complex commercial developments. I am also contemplating on taking some carpentry classes at a local trade school so I can legitimately do some of the renovation work myself, and eventually become my own licensed general contractor. 

So, that's your master plan, huh?

Yes, this is my master plan. After doing a lot of research, I am certain that this a very realistic way to become a developer, as many developers has became successful this way. This is the route that I have decided to take, and in the next few years I will be moving to Charlotte, North Carolina. And before you say it, yes, I am aware of the risks that's involved with flipping houses. Yes, I aware of the risks that is associated with this career path. I do understand that it will not happen overnight. So now what's YOUR TAKE on my plan? I would love to read your insight and advice.

0Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
9y
Forget the flipping, and especially the wholesaling.....they are not related to developing in any way. Go work for a developer, that's how you'll learn.
See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ed B.:

    How can I say this nicely? Hmm, I can’t, so here goes. You’re a blooming idiot. You reek of greenness, naivete, and ignorance. You speak in terms of “flipping” houses and wholesaling when you’ve probably never done either. And of selling them for a profit. Correction, and I suggest you learn this fast. You can only “Try to sell for a profit.” If you did enough things correctly, and your market timing was fortunate, and you had a little luck, you probably can sell for a profit. If so, thank your lucky stars but never take it for granted or get too cocky, because plenty of investors have lost money. Boatloads of money. Real estate is not always as challenging, interesting and enjoyable as you seem to think it is.  Try making mortgage payments when  you're paying out more than you're bringing in income.   Try looking for investors with money and only being told "no." Try using your creativity to come up with a solution to get yourself out of a bad financial jam, yet the only options are bad and worse.  That for damn sure will take the glint from your eye, the bounce from your step.   You really need a few failures and setbacks, not to mention enduring some grinding moments like scraping peeling paint or cleaning toilets before anyone is going to take you serious about developing real estate. Good grief! Give me a break. By the way, why the hell is your account closed already, one day after posting? 

     Thanks a lot for your useless asinine comment. If you knew how to read and comprehended the post said "I will start out wholesaling" and then he stated the next option would be to begin flipping houses. So common sense couldn't tell you that he hasn't done either? Yeah no sh*t he hasn't done either thats why he put it in that context. And you're the one to talk about someone being irgnorant right? It's one thing to give someone advice, but its a totally different thing to get on someone else's post and act like a complete a$$hole. Where's your success chart at buddy?

  • Investor · Littleton, MA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I am also a young entrepreneur in the Real Estate game. I have been investing in fix and flips for about two years now and I have my Real Estate license so I have up close and personal experience in the world of RE developing. Real Estate developing is a whole different ball game then investing in fix and flips or wholesaling. I would not say one is easier then the other but if developing is what you like and what your passionate about then focus on that. I wish you the best of luck in  your future en-devours. I am always happy to see more young people in this industry. 

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    Wow, I think I'll stay away from this one. It is interesting that the starter of this thread is a closed account. @Ed B. I don't know if you realize, but your profile is hidden.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Account closed? That was fast
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:

    Account closed? That was fast

    I guess he got tired of hearing our takes on his plan and no longer loves reading our insight and adivce.

  • Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michael Le:
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:

    Account closed? That was fast

    I guess he got tired of hearing our takes on his plan and no longer loves reading our insight and adivce.

     Maybe he's a bit weak on the emotions.

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2009 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    WOW! Is that a way to help someone? I mean, you may have been around for quite sometime in the industry but that was very arrogant and mean-spirited of you to explain that. I am all about being honest and telling me the truth of what I would can expect in getting into something that I am interested by anyone who is seasoned and veteran, whether I want to hear it or not but just come straight out nasty like that, that is definitely not have an attitude of being a good leadership and teacher. My goodness! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2009 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Maybe he got discouraged after the comment "blooming idiot" was said. I mean, what a good way to talk to someone who is trying to get into the real estate industry. SMH! 

  • Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Baldwin:

    WOW! Is that a way to help someone? I mean, you may have been around for quite sometime in the industry but that was very arrogant and mean-spirited of you to explain that. I am all about being honest and telling me the truth of what I would can expect in getting into something that I am interested by anyone who is seasoned and veteran, whether I want to hear it or not but just come straight out nasty like that, that is definitely not have an attitude of being a good leadership and teacher. My goodness! 

     Rachel, I second that. That's why I said what I said to him.

  • Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Baldwin:

    Maybe he got discouraged after the comment "blooming idiot" was said. I mean, what a good way to talk to someone who is trying to get into the real estate industry. SMH! 

     At least the kid had a legitimate plan.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Marlon Thomas:

    Are you talking about yourself in the third person? Because it sure seems like you just created a second account after you closed this one. This 'Marlon Thomas' account was just opened up and is already asking about how to be a developer and about how to wholesale, all over again.

    I had no problem with your original question, as naive as it was. But don't close your account and come back in and try to defend it. You should have stood your ground and took on all opinions straight on.

  • Developer · Covington, LA · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 124 votes
    9y

    @Michael Le that's intriguing. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2009 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I thought he had a legitimate plan too. He thought it out pretty well in my opinion. 

  • Williamsburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    there has been a change of plan, im scrapping the idea of wholesaling. Fix and flips will be a good way to get started in real estate as an investor, but not im not taking the exact why I initially had planned. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.