Searching for original blueprints for a house built in the 50's

Searching for original blueprints for a house built in the 50's

Specialist · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 20 votes

I was driving around a neighborhood looking at a few listings and came upon a house that was unlike any other. It was down a side street off a middle-class neighborhood and just stuck out like a sore thumb (but in a good way). The home was architecturally stunning so I jotted down the address. When I got home I looked up the address and found that it once had belonged to one of the most well-known business men in the area. I was able to see that he purchased the land in 1955 but am now interested to see who he had design the home for him. Is information like this easily found? I'm assuming public records may have this somewhere but hoping someone has already fine tuned their detective skills and can provide some pointers.

I'm new to BP and was unsure where to post this so let me know if you have a better suggestion!

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

For this particular issue, you'll have to get in touch with people who issue construction permits and approve plans. If it's the city of Fayettleville, see:

I'm in NYC, and I had violations issued that says "Building not in accordance to plans". So I have to have the plans pulled to see what it looks like originally. In NYC, it's the buildings dept, you go in, give them the address, and back then some years ago, they give you the actual paper file, but I have to leave my drivers license which they'll give back when I return the files.

So logically, if they have a department that issues permits and approve plans, they should have the original plans around somewhere. Now, I found for older stuff, it's still paper filed in folders, so someone on line at the office told me that I might have to make several trips to make the requests because of misfiling. So once, it took me three trips.

When you have the original blueprints, the architect name is usually on them.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    For this particular issue, you'll have to get in touch with people who issue construction permits and approve plans. If it's the city of Fayettleville, see:

    I'm in NYC, and I had violations issued that says "Building not in accordance to plans". So I have to have the plans pulled to see what it looks like originally. In NYC, it's the buildings dept, you go in, give them the address, and back then some years ago, they give you the actual paper file, but I have to leave my drivers license which they'll give back when I return the files.

    So logically, if they have a department that issues permits and approve plans, they should have the original plans around somewhere. Now, I found for older stuff, it's still paper filed in folders, so someone on line at the office told me that I might have to make several trips to make the requests because of misfiling. So once, it took me three trips.

    When you have the original blueprints, the architect name is usually on them.

  • Specialist · Fayetteville, AR · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Frank Chin!  I'm going to try and stop by this week to see what they can find for me.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    8y

    @Colin Gearity yes try the building department or the archives department and request them there. Some city/counties are getting all their older plans/records scanned in and on a hard drive. Some cities I can send an email request and get and email back within an hour with the plans or just look them up online with the address/tax or parcel ID. Good Luck!

  • Wholetailer & Architect · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 544 posts · 298 votes
    8y

    Some cities you may need to look at microfilm archives of the plans if they have them. Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.