Seeking modular manufacturer/low cost build - Flagstaff AZ

Seeking modular manufacturer/low cost build - Flagstaff AZ

Rowdy B.Pro Member
Developer · Flagstaff, AZ · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 1 vote

I want to put a 40ft x 40ft addition onto a property in Flagstaff, Arizona (zip 86001).  I have fixed/flippped/built additions for seven properties, and have either done or been involved with nearly all trades.  I am searching for the lowest cost method of doing this which could be completed before the frost hits in September/October.  I am capable of doing the framing myself, and getting subs for everything else, but would prefer to focus on my day job and have a life for the next few months.  That being said, this option does seem to be the only way to get the job done within my budget and time frame.

I have spoken to several general contractors in the area, but all have indicated that they are either not interested or could not get started for at least 3 to 6 months (building boom here).

The most appealing idea for me at the moment is modular.  In particular, I would like to find a manufacturer that is able to produce a two-story custom modular building for a reasonable price.  I have a rough design in PDF format.   I have been in contact with all of the major manufactured home builders here in Arizona, but none of them do two story, and all of them now have at least a 5-6 month build time.

I am open to other options, and have been doing a lot of research on new building methods and materials (such as SIPs), but none seem to match my budget and time frame.  One other challenge here in Flagstaff is finding reasonable quality workers.

If anyone has any information they can share, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Rowdy Bristol

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Woodcliff Lake, NJ · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 26 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rowdy B.:

    I want to put a 40ft x 40ft addition onto a property in Flagstaff, Arizona (zip 86001).  I have fixed/flippped/built additions for seven properties, and have either done or been involved with nearly all trades.  I am searching for the lowest cost method of doing this which could be completed before the frost hits in September/October.  I am capable of doing the framing myself, and getting subs for everything else, but would prefer to focus on my day job and have a life for the next few months.  That being said, this option does seem to be the only way to get the job done within my budget and time frame.

    I have spoken to several general contractors in the area, but all have indicated that they are either not interested or could not get started for at least 3 to 6 months (building boom here).

    The most appealing idea for me at the moment is modular.  In particular, I would like to find a manufacturer that is able to produce a two-story custom modular building for a reasonable price.  I have a rough design in PDF format.   I have been in contact with all of the major manufactured home builders here in Arizona, but none of them do two story, and all of them now have at least a 5-6 month build time.

    I am open to other options, and have been doing a lot of research on new building methods and materials (such as SIPs), but none seem to match my budget and time frame.  One other challenge here in Flagstaff is finding reasonable quality workers.

    If anyone has any information they can share, I'd certainly appreciate it.

    Thank you,

    Rowdy Bristol

    Send me a direct message and I will send you my email. Would love to see the plans and specs. Than let's schedule a call. We do mostly large multifamily housing but have done a lot of one off single family modular construction as well. If it's a good fit than we would be happy to work with you. Go to Kuvella.com to get a sense of what we are about.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Rowdy- I've also heard similar timeframes for work in Flagstaff right now.  Know that you aren't alone or getting mislead.  In my opinion, your option is either totally DIY or pay to bring people from another area.  However, the market in Phoenix is not much less busy so anything at this stage will be challenging.  Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix Tempe Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    Hello @Rowdy B.  I would say that your summary is quite correct. 

    I placed 3 new manufactured homes on the west side in 86001 2 years ago, they were all single story. Manufactured homes typically come in single story (lowest cost) and come in 14' wide sections. The typical width for a double wide is 28' x (your choice) this is because they are transported by semi truck, anything wider requires special transport i.e. wide load chaser cars and longer transport and setting because they exceed average street/highway widths. To reach 40x40 you can order a triple wide but again not the lowest cost. 

    That build time sounds about right, things are really getting busy down here in the valley where I currently have 2 flips going. I am even having trouble getting subs out to my projects. I normally import my workers from Phoenix for projects in flagstaff the cost is lower even if board the whole crew. 

    Feel free to reach out I am curious as to why you chose 40x40?    

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.