Permit taken as homeowner but unlicensed contractor helped

Permit taken as homeowner but unlicensed contractor helped

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

I am doimg my basement, permit for all building electric and plumbing are taken in advance of work, as home owner.

Plumbing inspection failed, and inspector mentioned about wrong size of pipe, misfitting and venting missing. I called a handyman to help, he will do all. Is this allowed, as long as I am responsible of the work? How do I explain to inspector?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

You dont explain anything to the inspector , you just do the work correctly and call for a re inspection . You dont say who did the work , if the inspector asks you say you did the work 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    In my state, no.  Plumbing and electric must be completed by licensed contractors.  Contractors classified as "Handyman" are legally prohibited from doing that work.  So, if this is the case in your state, the last thing you want to do is to "explain" this to an inspector.  

  • Bayport, MN · Member since 2018 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    Depends on your state laws.  In Minnesota, if it is my owner occupied property, I can pull all permits myself for the entire job, and do it all myself, including electrical and plumbing.  If it is one of my rentals, I can't do any permit required work myself unless I am a licensed contractor.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    You dont explain anything to the inspector , you just do the work correctly and call for a re inspection . You dont say who did the work , if the inspector asks you say you did the work 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Paul thanks man

  • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 655 posts · 900 votes
    7y

    @Sanal Kaptan

    I agree with what @Matthew Paul said.

    The inspector only cares that the work is done right and to code. When you call them to inspect, you fix what they tell you to fix. When they come back and see it’s done properly they sign it off. They don’t ask you who did the work.

    Just make sure the work gets done properly. As long as you do that the city inspector will sign it off.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.