Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 11 votes
I have a duplex with a detached garage that has a slab (not in the greatest shape, several cracks), but the structure itself sits on concrete block surrounding the perimeter of the slab. The block is dug down and I think there’s 2-3 layers or so, but it appears to be freestanding with no mortar holding it all together. Moreover, garage walls are bowing on 2 sides and it almost looks like the walls are sliding off the concrete block. Any ideas on fixing this issue?
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
So what you're saying is that the rows of foundation block are just stacked and not mortared together? Are there any bolts or straps holding down the bottom plate anywhere around the perimeter? If not, you need to get with a builder and have this remedied. Possibly, rebar could be driven in and those areas filled with concrete but something would need to be done or a good wind could shift the whole thing.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
If the structure is in good shape you can jack up the building with bottle jacks . Raise it up about 6 inches above the block . Support the building , then get a mason to re do the block . Or possibly fill the block with cement till they are full .
I had a customer had a 24 by 24 garage with a 7 ft high door . he wanted to get his conversion van in the garage . I did as described above . had the project done in 4 days
You've definitely got a little project on your hands.
As Matthew said I'd want to explore filling the existing block with concrete. There may be another solution though if you're creative / resourceful, to do that rather than jacking.
I'd be inclined to drill holes on each block and pump in your concrete that way. You'd probably need a couple holes per block, and It'd likely be as labor intensive as having a mason re-lay the block wall with rebar and concrete, but you'd be paying cheap unskilled labor instead of a mason, and you wouldn't have as much work on the front and tail end with jacking up your structure.
To be honest I've never pumped in concrete with this method but I feel confident with a little resourcefulness you can come up with a good solution there. If nothing else, mixing your concrete yourself on a platform and then letting it gravity feed into and through your holes with a self made mason's pouch (much larger, perhaps made out of canvas or heavy mil contractor's bags)
One way or another though after filling your block, or possibly re-laying as Matthew alluded to, you'll want to properly attach the structure and walls to your new solid block wall. Is there a footer system for the block, by the way?