Need advice on buying bare lot that hasn’t been sub-plotted.

Need advice on buying bare lot that hasn’t been sub-plotted.

Flipper/Rehabber · eastern, WA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 19 votes

I need some direction guys and gals... I have a bare lot I’m hoping to buy, decent price, decent size and within city limits. Owner and I have an agreed-upon price. Problem I’m having is, in talking with the city, utilities and access road (along the easement) need to be installed prior to sub plotting the parcel. I need some help on writing up a contract to where if I put out all the money for that work, the seller can’t back out, and at the same time have the negotiated price put to paper.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · eastern, WA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    **EDIT**

    Just to clarify (and BP won’t let me edit original post). This is currently ONE parcel that needs to be sub plotted before I purchase (owner is only wanting to sell me back half of property). I can’t buy it before it’s sub plotted, but can’t sub plot it until the work is done...thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    The way I have seen this typically done is to write the contract contingent on city approval of utility, street, and subdivision design. Depending on the amount of work that needs to be done, you will likely have to engage a Civil engineer to help with city approvals. Once you have all those approvals, then you can close and start the work. At the same time, you don't have to pay interest during the approvals period and it takes care of the risk of them backing out of the deal, because the work isn't done prior to close. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Sorry, just saw your update. I'm sure there's a way to get an attorney to help with language in the contract that protects you from them backing out. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.