PM charged managements fees after property is vacant

PM charged managements fees after property is vacant

Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi,

I have 2 properties month to month lease. I signed up with a new PM in Oct 2019. Tenants left and I fixed it up, put a lock on it and is currently taking charge and selling in under a listing agent. I found out recently the PM is charging me monthly fees even though they are not fixing it up nor looking after it. 

In the agreement here's what is written:

TERMINATION: This Agreement may be terminated by either party upon thirty (30) days written notice which is sent to the other party not less than thirty (30) days before any expiration date, Upon termination by Owner or expiration of this Agreement. Owner shall pay Agent all management fees which would have accrued through the end of the term of the lease, or in the event of a month-to-month tenancy, all management fees which would have accrued through the expiration of the thirty (30) days following notice of termination. 

Since my houses were on month to month lease, can the PM charge me for another year of management fees even after my house is not under their management? I have written termination of agreement notice to PM but he told me to get a lawyer to read the contract again. Am I not reading this correctly?

This company is in Las Vegas 

0Reply
8 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    You may look into the section of your contract that details the terms of your property management agreement. I have seen some PM agreements will have a minimum service length (1 year, etc). 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    It doesn't sound like they have a case. I'd consult an attorney.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.