Buying vacant lots on which to install modular homes from China

Buying vacant lots on which to install modular homes from China

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes

I'm wondering if it would make sense to source modular homes in China and have them shipped to and assembled in markets like Memphis, Atlanta, Birmingham, and other where you can buy vacant lots with utilities for as little as a few thousand dollars. I've done some research with suppliers in China who have built modular homes for the US market, and it looks like we can buy modular homes for about $30-$40 PSF. The suppliers say they are familiar with building codes in the US, but I still imagine there would be a lot of work to ensure code compliance, as well as installing the home on a new foundation, connect to utilities, etc. 

0Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
4y

does anyone know about AMAZONS Puzhong's New Spire prefabricated House Container House B&B with Bathroom and Kitchen

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 26 votes
    6y

    most of the ones at that price point won't pass code as primary residences ... I am looking into them as accessory dwelling units(ADU)

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brennen McConnell:

    The suppliers say they are familiar with building codes in the US, but I still imagine there would be a lot of work to ensure code compliance, as well as installing the home on a new foundation, connect to utilities, etc. 

    I highly doubt a Chinese modular home manufacturer is going to be even remotely familiar with US building codes.  Every state, county, and city is different. I can guarantee you this will not be as simple as buy and assemble.  

    My advice would be to see if you can purchase the plans only.  Take those plans to the county you intend to assemble the modular home and ask them if any additional construction would be needed to meet current building codes.  This gets rid of all the guesswork for you. 

    Also, keep in mind that not all of these "kits" will give you a finished home.  Is this just a frame?  Does it include plumbing and electrical?  What about interior finishes?  These are all questions I would be asking myself.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 184 posts · 204 votes
    6y

    This definitely sounds interesting, but at the same time very complex. I can see the opportunity being there in the right market...if the due diligence is done like Trenton said. 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    Brennan, I'm a structural engineer in california. I think modular homes have a big future, I know a contractor trying to use them to accelerate hotel construction. I'd be curious to review the company you want to use, I may be able to tell if they are using US building code or not. DM me if you want to discuss further. 

  • Member since 2019 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    6y

    Wow you trying to kill your tenants?  Look at what happened in FL when they started using Chinese sheetrocks.

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brennen McConnell:

    I'm wondering if it would make sense to source modular homes in China and have them shipped to and assembled in markets like Memphis, Atlanta, Birmingham, and other where you can buy vacant lots with utilities for as little as a few thousand dollars. I've done some research with suppliers in China who have built modular homes for the US market, and it looks like we can buy modular homes for about $30-$40 PSF. The suppliers say they are familiar with building codes in the US, but I still imagine there would be a lot of work to ensure code compliance, as well as installing the home on a new foundation, connect to utilities, etc. 

      There are plenty of companies in the US. By the time you pay for shipping and mistakes you will not be saving any money. You should look into modular and manufactured homes for these lots. Set up will vary depending on a number of factors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Trenton Miller Thanks for the feedback. The home comes with interior finishes complete and plumbing and electric. Apparently all that is required is pouring the foundation, assembly, and connecting to local utilities. I do have the plans for some of these and am planning on taking you up on your suggestion to run it by the county. Even though this factory has supplied homes for assembly in the US, the building codes are very local. 

    @Greg Dickerson Yes this is what I am suspecting. The starting price point is quite attractive but by the time you factor in all of the assembly, man hours, shipping, and mistakes, it may not make sense. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Brennan,

      How did china option pan out. Evaluating same for Md.

  • Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Brennan

    I was having the same thought, and I googled it and found your post. I am in touch with the supplier in Alibaba. I was told that it will cost $8000 for the modular which is a 2 bedroom unit, the shipping is $20,000. So it will be $28000. total then I need it to be shipped from New york port to New Jersey, Atlantic city (where I live). This is a very exciting project Just don't know how to get started.

  • Developer · DC & NC · Member since 2019 · 113 posts · 95 votes
    5y

    "Modular" structures are allowed to get a CofO in the US if they're IBC/IRC compliant -- which requires someone to do code compliance checks on the factory floor. I highly doubt they have that overseas.

    You're much better off using a US manufacturer.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    does anyone know about AMAZONS Puzhong's New Spire prefabricated House Container House B&B with Bathroom and Kitchen

  • Rental Property Investor · Kitsap county Washington · Member since 2017 · 117 posts · 39 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jewel Dombroff:

    does anyone know about AMAZONS Puzhong's New Spire prefabricated House Container House B&B with Bathroom and Kitchen

    I found the same thing at Amazon and searching also brought me here.:)

  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Our company, Pleasant Valley Containers, has 4 home models that are move-in ready for under $80k. We manufacture our homes by Amish builders and can complete the homes in 4-6 weeks. 

  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hey, did anyone ever find out if the China modular unit you found on Alibaba passes inspection codes here in the US?

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jack Akim:

    Hey, did anyone ever find out if the China modular unit you found on Alibaba passes inspection codes here in the US?


     I am currently prefabricating modulars in China in compliance with IBC/IRC, the bigger challenge now lies on shipping cost and tariffs. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tan Su:
    Quote from @Jack Akim:

    Hey, did anyone ever find out if the China modular unit you found on Alibaba passes inspection codes here in the US?


     I am currently prefabricating modulars in China in compliance with IBC/IRC, the bigger challenge now lies on shipping cost and tariffs. 


     Does it make it any easier if you are shipping to Colombia (the country)?

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brennen McConnell:
    Quote from @Tan Su:
    Quote from @Jack Akim:

    Hey, did anyone ever find out if the China modular unit you found on Alibaba passes inspection codes here in the US?


     I am currently prefabricating modulars in China in compliance with IBC/IRC, the bigger challenge now lies on shipping cost and tariffs. 


     Does it make it any easier if you are shipping to Colombia (the country)?


     I don't know, are you willing to try?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.