Can LAR1 Zone be subdivided?

Can LAR1 Zone be subdivided?

Granada Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 1 vote

Hi all, 

I recently got a property under contract and currently doing due diligence for the property. 

The lot is about 27k sqft. and there is an old house (about 70 year-old). 

Initially, I was thinking about flipping the property but searching for better development options now since I found a potential partner who could bring in some funds. 

The property is zoned R1 so technically, there would be only one house and two ADU (garage conversion and detached) allowed.

However, since the minimum requirement for a single dwelling residents changed to be 5000 sqft, I can put in at least 5 houses if I can subdivide the lot. 

I haven't met with the planner yet so not sure if anything is possible for sure yet. 

Is there any land-use consultant or developers on this forum who has an answer (or any ideas other than subdivision) to develop the property? 

Should I just demolish the little house and build a big one with ADU? (Is this the best option I got?)


Thanks in advance. 

Best, 

J.K



0Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul DashevskyPro Member
    Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2020 · 152 posts · 60 votes
    5y

    Doing a subdivision is very complicated. Meet with city planning for information. You should also talk to a civil engineer that knows the area. Look into Forma Engineering (Mike White).

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I'm interested to hear what you find out as I have a similar listing. Can it be re-zoned to allow for different types of housing since there is such a shortage of affordable housing? The whole RE environment is so rapidly changing so I would like to know if any planning commission people or investors can help with these questions.

    Thanks for posting!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.