Home insurance to investment property

Home insurance to investment property

Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 14 votes

Hi, I just recently bought my second property as an owner occupant and now I’m trying to find out what’s the process to getting insurance for my first property since it’s an investment property now with a tenant. The tenant has their own insurance. Would I keep the insurance I have now even though I bought the property owner occupied, or do I have to get a different insurance since it’s no longer owner occupied, and it’s an investment property?

Thank you

0Reply
13 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 123 posts · 329 votes
    4y

    @Isham Zabala you'd have to get different insurance. 

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Isham Zabala

    Your new home would become your Primary residence and needs to be insured with a Homeowners policy.  Your old home is now a "Non-owner" occupied property and need to be insured as a Rental Dwelling.

    The agent who wrote the policy for your new home should be able to add the Rental Dwelling as a bundle with your Home and Auto.

    If you are going through an 800#, then you will have to guide them through this process.  Let me know if you have any other questions on it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Trevor Fleck thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2020 · 54 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    @Jason Bott Thank you so much this was definitely helpful!!!

  • Attorney · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2022 · 220 posts · 83 votes
    4y

    You will need to update your insurance - your insurance agent will be able to assist with doing so.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.