When can i rent out my primary residence in Washington state

When can i rent out my primary residence in Washington state

Pacific Northwest · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 2 votes

Hi, just wondering when can I rent out my primary residence in Washington state? Is it 12 months and would I have to notify my lender?

1Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 598 posts · 312 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mary B.:

    Hi, just wondering when can I rent out my primary residence in Washington state? Is it 12 months and would I have to notify my lender?

    You need to occupy your primary for 12 months from your purchase date, but you do not need to notify your lender. You could get preapproved and begin searching for a new property around month 10, and then close on a new property after the 12 month mark.
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 275 posts · 223 votes
    4y

    if you do decide to rent out your current home (or any portion thereof) be sure to understand WA and local rental regulations.   There has been dramatic changes in rental laws statewide and in many cities and counties and they all strongly favor the tenant.    Also be sure to have a landlord policy or otherwise update your homeowners insurance.     

  • Pacific Northwest · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Thank you Grant and Brian for your insight! I will start researching local rental laws and update my homeowners insurance before we start renting our primary residence. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.