Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 6 votes
Curious what your thoughts are about investing in townhomes for long term rentals. I know HOA fees and regulations need to be accounted for. If the numbers all work out, would you invest, or are their other concerns I should consider?
Rental Property Investor · Pocatello, ID · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 10 votes
4y
If all the numbers work out, you shouldn't have a problem with investing in townhouses. I would contact the HOA before purchasing though and let them know what yours plans are for the property. Sometime being upfront with the HOA can save you many headaches down the road, or sometimes they don't want anything to do with rentals in their townhouses and run you out. There are starting to be more HOAs that are being setup for STRs and LTRs. If possible I would look for one of these because the people in the HOA are investors too and they want to keep their rentals as well
Realtor · Washington, DC · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 32 votes
4y
One potential issue is when HOA fees rise (sometimes unpredictably) due to an assessment or just periodic adjustment, without a corresponding increase in rent. It can eat into cash flow without warning and that's one reason some investors don't like HOAs or condo associations.