Rehab Estimate in Fayetteville, NC

Rehab Estimate in Fayetteville, NC

Wholesaler · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 145 votes

Hey Team,

I made this post back in 2020 and now that the world is a different place I wanted to see if these numbers still apply or should we bump these up $5-$10/sf?

------------------------------------------

2020 Post Below: 

I'm a Fayetteville, NC investor and wanted to share the way I analyze rehab costs. When I started buying rentals this was one of the hardest and scariest numbers to put into the BP calculator so I figured I'd share and hopefully help some folks that are stuck.

If any more experienced inventors have some feedback that would help too.

1. Lipstick (paint and floors) --- sqft x 5-10 = rehab cost

2. Light (Paint, floors, appliances, fixtures, ect.) --- sqft x 15 = rehab cost

3. One Cap Ex + 2. (Roof or HVAC) --- sqft x 20 = rehab cost

4. Two Cap Ex + 2. (Roof AND HVAC) --- sqft x 25 = rehab cost

5. Full Gut --- sqft x 30-35 = rehab cost

Example: 3/2 rental with 1150 sqft that needs a new roof, HVAC and all the goodies inside (Number 4). Not a gut job but you'd want to update the kitchen and bathroom cabinets with some hardware and paint. You may need to get a new countertop in the kitchen, some decent landscaping and minor exterior updates/repairs. Of course, you'd need to put down some LVP in the common areas and probably carpet in the bedrooms.

1150 x 25 = $28,750

If you have the right team you can defiantly get this sort of rehab done cheaper but you'd be safe with this number.

1Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan DiFilippoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2020 · 251 posts · 244 votes
    4y

    I think about this guide you wrote a lot.  I've always liked it, and yes, I think it is probably time to give it an update.  Something like that amount.

    Brookdale Property Management
  • Wholesaler · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 145 votes
    4y

    Yeah Gun Dog said we can increase everything by $5 and we should be good. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 131 votes
    4y

    @Robert Shortsleeves do you find that when you get into larger houses (larger sq ft/more # of bedrooms), but still have the same size kitchens or bacthrooms (or close to the same size) as a 1,000 sq ft house, you adjust your forecasted $ per sq ft? My thought is that at some point, the kitchen/bathroom/fixtures of a 2,000+ sq ft house can't be THAT much more expensive than that of a 1,000 sq ft house. But, on the other hand, the floors/paint certainly does increase proportionately. 

    Just a thought! 

    All the best - 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.