Well It Happened...Walking away from Earnest Money

Well It Happened...Walking away from Earnest Money

Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes

Well it happened. I am having to cancel a contract due to funding issues. I went under contract on a home with a local bank that I have used for over three years and still have active loans with decide to become more restrictive. Here is what went down. 

I have a commercial loan with a balance of $90K that is secured by two separate properties that had appraised in August for a total of $180K, one for $79K and the other $101K. My plan was to use the equity in these two properties and purchase a separate property for $67K. So based on a total based on a total value of $247K, $180k +price of new property, this would put me at an LTV of 63.5% across all properties. Today the bank called and decided that they were not allowing me to use that equity and must do 20% down in cash, previously it had been 15%. My response was that I don't want to use my cash when I have that much equity, plus with times being uncertain I don't want to fall below my minimum reserves. The bank said they understood that but still wanted the cash. I then asked, "OK if I do the cash and get in a bind will you lend me money in a cash out situation?" and of course their answer was, NO. Of course those loans are locked up at 4.5% and not willing to refi them for almost double to just do the deal with another bank.

So today I canceled the contract and let the EM walk, $1k so not terrible, but stinks. However; this is just another sign that we are moving into uncertain times and that funding can dry up from banks, even ones that you have worked with in the past. So be prepared and keep your powder dry during these uncertain times. 

2Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Yes things are tightening. 

    Work with them on a working capital line of credit.  That way you know your number ahead of time. 

    Also if you have been in the two units for a while still refi up to an acceptable level if you want to get cash out, can lower your payment and extend the amort period.  If it fits your goals. 

    Work Inflation. Pay further out with cheaper dollars due to inflation and have more hard assets increasing in value


    Run the numbers.  Might be worth moving from say 4.5 to 5.5%.  

  • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Henry Clark:

    Yes things are tightening. 

    Work with them on a working capital line of credit.  That way you know your number ahead of time. 

    Also if you have been in the two units for a while still refi up to an acceptable level if you want to get cash out, can lower your payment and extend the amort period.  If it fits your goals. 

    Work Inflation. Pay further out with cheaper dollars due to inflation and have more hard assets increasing in value


    Run the numbers.  Might be worth moving from say 4.5 to 5.5%.  


     Honestly the working capital line was what we were working towards to begin with and then when the property came up I said lets do that instead. But I think they are now just uneasy about tapping that equity. Just gonna sit tight for a sec and if I need to refi then I will. But think that new rate will be closer to 7-8%, if it was 5.5% I would be all over it. 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Wow, bummer. Sorry to hear it went down that way. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish more people were transparent about things like this. Best of luck to you. 

  • Dave SchimmelsPro Member
    Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    I have a question in regards to a HELOC at the rates at this time (8% variable). I would think we would need to get a pretty good deal on a property to justify ROI. So my question would be, if we buy and hold for 5-7 years or possibly lease to own, which would be the best strategy. Thanks in advance for your input

    Dave

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.