Looking for input from local investors in San Antonio, TX

Looking for input from local investors in San Antonio, TX

Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I am new to the area and am looking for suggestions, tips, advice, or resources for BRRR, Flipping, and rental/multi-home investments for San Antonio, TX. More specifically but not limited to, anything unique to San Antonio, TX that needs to be considered when looking for your investments. Thank you for your time.


0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Heath ShepardBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 89 posts · 48 votes
3y

Hey there Mark!  

I am an SA investor and agent as well.  I work with many BP members in this area and surrounding areas.  I have plenty of tips and advice, but it all depends on your strategy, timeline.  Ill go over a few things here.

Foundation-there are many foundation issues in SA and as a result we are very used to dealing with them.  Look for the signs of foundation issues.  Diagonal cracks on the walls around windows and doors.  Signs that they are trying to hide a foundation issue suck as patched over cracks and paint that doesn't quite match in these areas. Cracked driveways or walkways on the exterior or in mortar cracks of brick/stone houses.  Foundation issues are also a great opportunity because there are many of them and decreases the buyer pool because it's "scary" to tackle.  It's not in reality....  If there are foundation issues pier and beam foundations are much more desirable to slab.

Foundation issues are more prevalent on the east side of town which is also a very fast-growing part of town. Mainly around i35because tis pretty easy to jump onto i35 and head to Austin if you have to go there a couple days a week for work.  People are leaving Austin for a variety of reasons, and one is because of real estate prices and SA is much more affordable.  

I work with a few wholesalers which are a great resource for BRRRR's. I am lacking contractors to do the work, however. I am always trying to find more contractors because they are so busy right now it's not always guaranteed that I, or my clients, can get on their schedule within a reasonable time. this is actually the reason I signed in today... To find more contractors. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time to discuss more. I always love talking shop.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Heath ShepardBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 89 posts · 48 votes
    3y

    Hey there Mark!  

    I am an SA investor and agent as well.  I work with many BP members in this area and surrounding areas.  I have plenty of tips and advice, but it all depends on your strategy, timeline.  Ill go over a few things here.

    Foundation-there are many foundation issues in SA and as a result we are very used to dealing with them.  Look for the signs of foundation issues.  Diagonal cracks on the walls around windows and doors.  Signs that they are trying to hide a foundation issue suck as patched over cracks and paint that doesn't quite match in these areas. Cracked driveways or walkways on the exterior or in mortar cracks of brick/stone houses.  Foundation issues are also a great opportunity because there are many of them and decreases the buyer pool because it's "scary" to tackle.  It's not in reality....  If there are foundation issues pier and beam foundations are much more desirable to slab.

    Foundation issues are more prevalent on the east side of town which is also a very fast-growing part of town. Mainly around i35because tis pretty easy to jump onto i35 and head to Austin if you have to go there a couple days a week for work.  People are leaving Austin for a variety of reasons, and one is because of real estate prices and SA is much more affordable.  

    I work with a few wholesalers which are a great resource for BRRRR's. I am lacking contractors to do the work, however. I am always trying to find more contractors because they are so busy right now it's not always guaranteed that I, or my clients, can get on their schedule within a reasonable time. this is actually the reason I signed in today... To find more contractors. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time to discuss more. I always love talking shop.

  • Lender · Member since 2022 · 338 posts · 374 votes
    3y

    I would highly recommend @Robert Finn as he is very knowledgeable about the market for investment properties in SA

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I have a few deals I am working in San Antonio, happy to share 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX (Lender in TX and SC) · Member since 2020 · 196 posts · 253 votes
    3y

    @Mark DiRoma

    Welcome to San Antonio!  I'm a lender and investor that lives right here in the city.  @Heath Shepard gave some great advice and is absolutely right that the specific advice is dependent upon your strategy.

    San Antonio is a solid market for SFR and small multi-families due to the growing population/economy and the large military population here in 'Military City U.S.A.'. We're home to 4 military installations (Lackland, Randolph, Fort Sam Houston, Camp Bullis), which provides a steady supply of quality, recession-resistant renters.

    There are also many investors that have found success with STRs in San Antonio as a result of the steady tourism.  The downtown area draws many visitors, as does Lackland Air Force Base (out-of-town family members attending weekly basic training graduations) and the universities.

  • Joseph CacciapagliaBusiness Member
    Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Heath is right about foundation issues. 

    The other issues we run into all the time are properties that have multiple units, but are zoned for single family. These properties seem to get passed off to out of state investors more often than not. If you're not familiar with the San Antonio One Stop Map, you should check it out. It has zoning info. Turn on the flood layer too, because we have a lot of flood zones.

    Joseph Cacciapaglia powered by Morty
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.