Quad-plex has only two furnaces and two water tanks?

Quad-plex has only two furnaces and two water tanks?

Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes

I am looking at a quad-plex that only has two water tanks and two furnaces, where I expected four (photo below). Seems like each furnace runs two units, same for the tanks. There is no way to fairly bill usage back to tenants as its not separately metered. I could include a flat fee in rent each month, but that seems like asking for pain and a good way to hemorrhage money. 

Has anyone found a sensible solution for this scenario?  How have you solved the problem? Ideas welcome.

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 160 votes
    3y

    I am in that situation and it can be a pain. I have increased the rents to cover usage but I understand your plight. It is very costly to separate the utilities, especially the gas lines for the furnace.

  • Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 113 votes
    3y

    @Courtney Jones: Do you find that even with increased rents, you still have out-of-pocket overages to pay when usage spikes?

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 160 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jeff Costa:

    @Courtney Jones: Do you find that even with increased rents, you still have out-of-pocket overages to pay when usage spikes?

    @Jeff Costa I have not experienced that yet... But in all honesty with the energy cost increase I expect to feel it in the next month as the gas rates are expected to be up 30%. I do have regulated locked thermostats so I know there is no- over use 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.