Rent property long term or sell for small profit?

Rent property long term or sell for small profit?

Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone,

I'm new to real estate and recently purchased my first property in Coachella, CA for 335K with the intention of renting it out long term. After investing an additional 50K on upgrades, the house was appraised at 400K.  We decided to put it in the market, and though we've had several showings we have yet to receive any offers. I'm starting to wonder whether I should stick to my original plan or just sell for a small profit.

As a first time investor, I'm feeling a bit unsure on what the best move is. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter, especially is you have experience with the Coachella market or have been in a similar situation. Is the rental market strong in this area, or should I look to sell sooner rather than later?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 203 votes
3y

$335k Purchase Price, ~$6k Closing Costs, $50k Renovation = $391k Basis

$400k Sales Price, $32k Sale Costs = $368,000 Net

Profit = Negative $23k - unless I am missing something. 

You didn't mention what the property would rent for or what your debt, insurance and tax cost is, etc.. so it is hard to say.

Just wanted to mention that, if this is your first sale, you might not net a profit at all. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    It really depends on your goals. I am into rental income now that I am retired but earlier I kept them for income and long term appreciation. For example I kept Ca properties for over 30 years and they did very well. Selling early would have made no sense. But it is never a sure bet. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 203 votes
    3y

    $335k Purchase Price, ~$6k Closing Costs, $50k Renovation = $391k Basis

    $400k Sales Price, $32k Sale Costs = $368,000 Net

    Profit = Negative $23k - unless I am missing something. 

    You didn't mention what the property would rent for or what your debt, insurance and tax cost is, etc.. so it is hard to say.

    Just wanted to mention that, if this is your first sale, you might not net a profit at all. 

  • Salvador MariscalPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Reed Rickenbach:

    $335k Purchase Price, ~$6k Closing Costs, $50k Renovation = $391k Basis

    $400k Sales Price, $32k Sale Costs = $368,000 Net

    Profit = Negative $23k - unless I am missing something. 

    You didn't mention what the property would rent for or what your debt, insurance and tax cost is, etc.. so it is hard to say.

    Just wanted to mention that, if this is your first sale, you might not net a profit at all. 


     Hey Reed,

    I appreciate the feedback. I also agree that the numbers i mention don't reflect the entire picture. In fact after taking a closer look, i realize i would actually be in the negative. Thank you for pointing this out, as it will help me be more accurate and precise in the future.

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2022 · 112 posts · 71 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Salvador Mariscal:

    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to real estate and recently purchased my first property in Coachella, CA for 335K with the intention of renting it out long term. After investing an additional 50K on upgrades, the house was appraised at 400K.  We decided to put it in the market, and though we've had several showings we have yet to receive any offers. I'm starting to wonder whether I should stick to my original plan or just sell for a small profit.

    As a first time investor, I'm feeling a bit unsure on what the best move is. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter, especially is you have experience with the Coachella market or have been in a similar situation. Is the rental market strong in this area, or should I look to sell sooner rather than later?

    Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!


     Hi Salvador,

    I would recommend keeping it for the long term if it is a good place. Capital gains tax will ruin a big percentage of the "gain" you will make along with closing cost, agent fees and the total you put in for renovations.

    Hope this helps!

  • Salvador MariscalPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

    It really depends on your goals. I am into rental income now that I am retired but earlier I kept them for income and long term appreciation. For example I kept Ca properties for over 30 years and they did very well. Selling early would have made no sense. But it is never a sure bet. 


     Hey Bjorn,

    Thanks for the feedback, your perspective on the matter has given me a lot to consider, and will take it into serious consideration moving forward. Thanks again!

  • Salvador MariscalPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ace Kaspar:
    Quote from @Salvador Mariscal:

    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to real estate and recently purchased my first property in Coachella, CA for 335K with the intention of renting it out long term. After investing an additional 50K on upgrades, the house was appraised at 400K.  We decided to put it in the market, and though we've had several showings we have yet to receive any offers. I'm starting to wonder whether I should stick to my original plan or just sell for a small profit.

    As a first time investor, I'm feeling a bit unsure on what the best move is. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter, especially is you have experience with the Coachella market or have been in a similar situation. Is the rental market strong in this area, or should I look to sell sooner rather than later?

    Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!


     Hi Salvador,

    I would recommend keeping it for the long term if it is a good place. Capital gains tax will ruin a big percentage of the "gain" you will make along with closing cost, agent fees and the total you put in for renovations.

    Hope this helps!


     Hey Ace,

    Appreciate the feedback, it definitely helps! Being new to the industry i didnt even consider the some of the additional fees. 

    Thanks again for the advice!

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2022 · 112 posts · 71 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Salvador Mariscal:
    Quote from @Ace Kaspar:
    Quote from @Salvador Mariscal:

    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to real estate and recently purchased my first property in Coachella, CA for 335K with the intention of renting it out long term. After investing an additional 50K on upgrades, the house was appraised at 400K.  We decided to put it in the market, and though we've had several showings we have yet to receive any offers. I'm starting to wonder whether I should stick to my original plan or just sell for a small profit.

    As a first time investor, I'm feeling a bit unsure on what the best move is. I would love to hear your thoughts on the matter, especially is you have experience with the Coachella market or have been in a similar situation. Is the rental market strong in this area, or should I look to sell sooner rather than later?

    Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!


     Hi Salvador,

    I would recommend keeping it for the long term if it is a good place. Capital gains tax will ruin a big percentage of the "gain" you will make along with closing cost, agent fees and the total you put in for renovations.

    Hope this helps!


     Hey Ace,

    Appreciate the feedback, it definitely helps! Being new to the industry i didnt even consider the some of the additional fees. 

    Thanks again for the advice!


     Everyone has been there so you're not alone in that bucket.

    If you have any questions about real estate, I am always happy to help.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 203 posts · 124 votes
    3y

    The current interest rate on the property in question could be helpful in making your decision. If you are sub 3.5 that is extremely money you are borrowing. Might be awhile before we see money that cheap again. Just food for thought. This is the place to ask questions, good job and good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.