Investor · NY/CO/OH · Member since 2022 · 21 posts · 14 votes
Hey guys, just wanted to hear personal experiences with accepting section 8. The good the bad, why you prefer or do not prefer section 8? Do you experience less turn over with section 8?
Real Estate Agent · Northern Virginia · Member since 2019 · 79 posts · 33 votes
3y
I am commenting to stay notified of what everyone else has experienced. Personally, I decided to not do section 8 due to the worry about the quality of tenants however, as I have progressed and as I venture into more investing with certain properties and locations I can see situations where using section 8 can be more logical. I am interested to get everyone else's thoughts and experiences because I could be persuaded either way on the topic.
Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 31 votes
3y
i did it once and will never do it again. HUD undercut the rent from the get go and told me that i would need to request a rent increase after the first year and substantiate it. The tenant trashed the place, smoked in it, left rotten food, holes in the wall, broken doors, and the list goes on. There is little to no recourse on them losing their voucher. She simply moved to another free home that HUD paid for. If you decide to do it, just know that you will need to do a full rehab b/w tenants. If you have low expectations and your house can take a beating then go for it. I prefer tenants that give a crap.