Owner occupied duplex, trying to buy SFH

Owner occupied duplex, trying to buy SFH

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I’m sure this is constantly asked, but maybe I am not searching correctly for an answer.

Currently owner occupy a duplex (4 years), with the current rent covering the mortgage. Current tenant agreed to a new lease increasing the rent about 30%. We would like to move and rent out both units. Do banks consider this as income when looking to purchase a new primary, or only what has shown up previously on filed taxes? Would my unit that I currently reside in be considered into future income in any way?


thanks in advance

1Reply
6 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Christopher Drotzur:

    I’m sure this is constantly asked, but maybe I am not searching correctly for an answer.

    Currently owner occupy a duplex (4 years), with the current rent covering the mortgage. Current tenant agreed to a new lease increasing the rent about 30%. We would like to move and rent out both units. Do banks consider this as income when looking to purchase a new primary, or only what has shown up previously on filed taxes? Would my unit that I currently reside in be considered into future income in any way?


    thanks in advance


     Three units rental income will be counted through SCH. E on your tax return. The vacating unit rental income will be count on new lease agreement. 

  • Member since 2021 · 376 posts · 242 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Christopher Drotzur:

    I’m sure this is constantly asked, but maybe I am not searching correctly for an answer.

    Currently owner occupy a duplex (4 years), with the current rent covering the mortgage. Current tenant agreed to a new lease increasing the rent about 30%. We would like to move and rent out both units. Do banks consider this as income when looking to purchase a new primary, or only what has shown up previously on filed taxes? Would my unit that I currently reside in be considered into future income in any way?


    thanks in advance


     A percentage of rent will be counted towards your revenue (I believe 75%). I've typically had my CPA provide a schedule E form in these instances when it has been needed by lenders. 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Harjeet Bhatti:
    Quote from @Christopher Drotzur:

    I’m sure this is constantly asked, but maybe I am not searching correctly for an answer.

    Currently owner occupy a duplex (4 years), with the current rent covering the mortgage. Current tenant agreed to a new lease increasing the rent about 30%. We would like to move and rent out both units. Do banks consider this as income when looking to purchase a new primary, or only what has shown up previously on filed taxes? Would my unit that I currently reside in be considered into future income in any way?


    thanks in advance


     Three units rental income will be counted through SCH. E on your tax return. The vacating unit rental income will be count on new lease agreement. 

    So basically I would need a lease in place on the unit we currently reside in, or am I misunderstanding? That would definitely be tough but something to consider.
  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    3y

    @Christopher Drotzur The new lease agreement will help you to count more income from your investment property. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.