Considering buying an 18 Unit Rental Property on 5 Acres

Considering buying an 18 Unit Rental Property on 5 Acres

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hello from Arkansas. Love the forum here and the information. 

My wife and I are considering buying an 18 unit rental property on 5 acres. The units are all in good shape and need nothing at the moment. Currently rented below market value, no automation, all manual pen and paper checks or cash and the owner self manages. Tired older owners that want to sell, I know the owners well. It's three 4 plex's, one duplex, small single bedroom home, small two bedroom home, and large owners current home with small apartment attached. Good location in a good rural area close to a military installation and only two miles from my home.Two vacancys now but he doesn't really advertise at all. I think these could be filled easily. His home would also be up for rent once the property was purchased and he moves out.

Listed for $1.75m but offered to me for $1.5 with owner financing and $350K down at a 7% rate for 40 years. I am trying to negotiate at 6% and my numbers below are based off that. I would put up 200K out of pocket for the down payment and use a HELOC for the other 150K which we would pay down as fast as possible probably within the first 5 years before the repayment period starts. Rentals are currently bringing in $11,000 month. That would go up to $14,000 once the owners home was rented and the two vanancies filled. Within two years I believe the rents could easily be raised to bring in $15.6-16K month. There is also bare land with spots to put up storage units or charge to park campers or boats.

Estimated expenses taxes, insurance, utilities, are around $30K year and maintanance is a wildcard estimate at around $20K year. I would self manage for now with a program like turbotenant. The apartments have all been renovated a few years back with new roofs and updates so no real known maintanance problems.

Running the numbers in a rental calculator including payments made to owner, if rent was raised to $15,600 month with zero vacancies and $50K year expenses I am coming up with a $60,744 cash flow, 17% cash on cash return and 9.11 cap rate. However that does not take into account the HELOC payment which we would put around $2k a month toward so that $60,744 would be reduced by $24k down to $36,744. Of course, these numbers would of course be lower before we raised the rent and filled the vacancies. With two vacancies and the owners house not rented, and the rentals bringing in $11K, we would be at a 0 or negative cash flow by the time we subtract the HELOC payment. Technically we could pay interest only on the HELOC until we got the vacancies filled.

We own one rental property now that is paid off but this is the first type of deal of this magnitude that we have considered. What are your guys thoughts on this deal? Is the fact that the property can pay for itself and still provide a little cashflow the first year with a steady rise after that a no brainer or what are we missing?

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Hopedale, MA · Member since 2021 · 321 posts · 212 votes
3y

- don't bank on natural rent growth in the future. not safe.

- don't bank on being able to do xyz on the raw land. you never know what roadblocks will come up with the land itself or the town! make sure the deal makes sense even if you have to leave the unused land as is.

- make sure it still has a 1.2x cashflow ratio even with your TWO loans considered. that's what the bank would do! moreso one rents are at market; if it doesn't meet that ratio right off the bat that's not that big of a deal. just be sure you have 6mo of expenses in a reserve account, if not more. lots of growing pains in the first year with something like this, that all cost money.

i'd love to help if you need a sounding board! feel free to dm me

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Stephen Blair welcome to BP! Congrats on taking action. I would want as much ready cash on hand as possible. Put into a high yield savings account but don't lock it up. This business is full of surprises and they all need money to solve. I would also want a written agreement to state when the owner is leaving and a rent amount if he overstays. 

    Considering the vacancies etc in its current state the property does not support the 1.5 million price. Once it is stabilized it does but there are considerable 'ifs' to get there as you pointed out. I also think you need to use Estoppel certs signed by tenant and landlord so everyone is on the same page regarding rents and deposits. I wish you success and all the best closing this deal!

  • Rental Property Investor · Russellville, AR · Member since 2014 · 684 posts · 509 votes
    3y

    The price seems a little high in its current state, but not outrageous. I selling your other rental property an option to avoid the HELOC? A good 1031 exchange could help you out a lot! I personally wouldn't buy anything that could be negative on cash flow. It's just too risky. What if another tenant moves out before you fill the vacancies? What if Murphy steps in and blows out a water heater? I think there's a good deal there, it may just take a little back and forth to find it.

    I'm also in Arkansas!  Good luck with this one!

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Billy Daniel:

    The price seems a little high in its current state, but not outrageous. I selling your other rental property an option to avoid the HELOC? A good 1031 exchange could help you out a lot! I personally wouldn't buy anything that could be negative on cash flow. It's just too risky. What if another tenant moves out before you fill the vacancies? What if Murphy steps in and blows out a water heater? I think there's a good deal there, it may just take a little back and forth to find it.

    I'm also in Arkansas!  Good luck with this one!


     I thought about that, I really don't want to sell it. It's on a shared parcel with my home and it brings a premium rent and has awesome long term renters. Have you ran across many deals to where it was almost impossible not to cash flow or is that a unicorn? I'm new to this game, I only have the one home but I am always looking for other opportunities and to learn from other folks doing it. Are we always seeking and always expect to cash flow on day 1? I know that's what everyone wants but is that reality or does it typically take a little time to get to that positive cash flow? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Russellville, AR · Member since 2014 · 684 posts · 509 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stephen Blair:
    Quote from @Billy Daniel:

    The price seems a little high in its current state, but not outrageous. I selling your other rental property an option to avoid the HELOC? A good 1031 exchange could help you out a lot! I personally wouldn't buy anything that could be negative on cash flow. It's just too risky. What if another tenant moves out before you fill the vacancies? What if Murphy steps in and blows out a water heater? I think there's a good deal there, it may just take a little back and forth to find it.

    I'm also in Arkansas!  Good luck with this one!


     I thought about that, I really don't want to sell it. It's on a shared parcel with my home and it brings a premium rent and has awesome long term renters. Have you ran across many deals to where it was almost impossible not to cash flow or is that a unicorn? I'm new to this game, I only have the one home but I am always looking for other opportunities and to learn from other folks doing it. Are we always seeking and always expect to cash flow on day 1? I know that's what everyone wants but is that reality or does it typically take a little time to get to that positive cash flow? 


     The deals that cash flow from day 1 are certainly out there.  They are harder to find right now with the high cost of borrowing.  A more substantial down payment is needed most of the time.  Over the last year, I've cut back a little on what I want as minimum cash flow simply because I would rather have the property than wait for a better deal.  Everything I buy is positive on day 1, even if its not as positive as I'd usually like!

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Roger that sir, thanks for the reply. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I recommend a straight up sale only unless buyer bends over backwards to buy it. Seller finance deals never work. Sound great to start but ultimately a waste of time. 1031 exchange into something that improves your vintage, location and cash flow regardless of rate. Hope that helps!

  • Investor · Hopedale, MA · Member since 2021 · 321 posts · 212 votes
    3y

    - don't bank on natural rent growth in the future. not safe.

    - don't bank on being able to do xyz on the raw land. you never know what roadblocks will come up with the land itself or the town! make sure the deal makes sense even if you have to leave the unused land as is.

    - make sure it still has a 1.2x cashflow ratio even with your TWO loans considered. that's what the bank would do! moreso one rents are at market; if it doesn't meet that ratio right off the bat that's not that big of a deal. just be sure you have 6mo of expenses in a reserve account, if not more. lots of growing pains in the first year with something like this, that all cost money.

    i'd love to help if you need a sounding board! feel free to dm me

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Jessie Dillon:

    - don't bank on natural rent growth in the future. not safe.

    - don't bank on being able to do xyz on the raw land. you never know what roadblocks will come up with the land itself or the town! make sure the deal makes sense even if you have to leave the unused land as is.

    - make sure it still has a 1.2x cashflow ratio even with your TWO loans considered. that's what the bank would do! moreso one rents are at market; if it doesn't meet that ratio right off the bat that's not that big of a deal. just be sure you have 6mo of expenses in a reserve account, if not more. lots of growing pains in the first year with something like this, that all cost money.

    i'd love to help if you need a sounding board! feel free to dm me


    Thank you! I decided to go back to the owner and negotiate on the price to 1.3m and 200K down after running the numbers in all different ways. He needs the bigger down payment. He really wants 500K down. After upping my maintenance percentage to 20%, with property management, the ratio was .75. That was $1.3m purchase price, 200K down (I wouldn't have had to use the HELOC) and with the rents upped and no vacancies. Still maybe a good deal for someone, but honestly I just can't afford it and it's probably a bigger first deal than I should bite off. The margins were too close for me. I decided to pass on this deal. However, I have learned alot in the process and am better equipped and ready for the next deal that comes along.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.