How to wholesale a seller finance

How to wholesale a seller finance

Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 5 votes

Hello BP family i am currently trying to wholesale my first seller finance deal and trying to negotiate terms with the seller.I am looking for advice on how to negotiate terms with seller like like im trying to get zero downpayment for full asking price and dont know what interest rate i should offer. I was thinking about offering zero downpayment at 5% interest with a 30 year amortization schedule and a 7 year ballon. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0Reply
21 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    2y

    I like to refer to the rates on a Certificate of Deposit (CD). 

    Example: 

    If CDs are offering 4% interest, then your offer to the seller should be equal to or greater than 4%. If I was the one selling/financing the property, that would be my perspective. I'd need a reason to invest in you rather than a CD. For me, my reason would be "I'd rather make 5% on my money than 4%" However, every seller has their own perspective and different things that motivate them. 

    If ROI motivates them, I would share an illustration that simply shows them the benefits of seller financing rather than investing in a CD. I would highlight the pros of the installment sale and the higher return from seller financing.

    Figure out what motivates them and use that as your basis. 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y

    @Alejandro Lozano

    1) most owner finance deals carry a higher rate than current market rates

    2) very few sellers would be foolish enough to accept a zero down payment

    You’re assuming you’ll be able to sell this owner financed contract to some random person, unknown to the seller.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kelby Schimming:

    I like to refer to the rates on a Certificate of Deposit (CD). 

    Example: 

    If CDs are offering 4% interest, then your offer to the seller should be equal to or greater than 4%. If I was the one selling/financing the property, that would be my perspective. I'd need a reason to invest in you rather than a CD. For me, my reason would be "I'd rather make 5% on my money than 4%" However, every seller has their own perspective and different things that motivate them. 

    If ROI motivates them, I would share an illustration that simply shows them the benefits of seller financing rather than investing in a CD. I would highlight the pros of the installment sale and the higher return from seller financing.

    Figure out what motivates them and use that as your basis. 


     Ok yes thank you for the advice I think im going to start off offering a little more that the what the cds are offering. I would also like to wholesale the seller finance deal. Can I lease option a seller finance deal? or I was also thinking wholesaling the contract to another investor with a downpayment of like $5K and a higher interest rate like a lease option.Thats what im working on trying to figure out right now.  Thank you for getting back.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Wayne Brooks:

    @Alejandro Lozano

    1) most owner finance deals carry a higher rate than current market rates

    2) very few sellers would be foolish enough to accept a zero down payment

    You’re assuming you’ll be able to sell this owner financed contract to some random person, unknown to the seller.


     Hi Wayne, yes that is what im trying to do. I would essentially be trying to wholesale the seller finance deal to another investor. I am trying to get zero down because he is asking for a high price so i told him I might be able to come up to his asking price if he is willing to give me a zero down payment. So im trying to get zero down with a 4.5% interest rate at his full asking price and he is thinking about it. But know im thinking about the exit strategy if I should wholesale the contract to another investor or do a lease option with a regular buyer. Thanks for getting back at me

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2023 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alejandro Lozano:
    Quote from @Kelby Schimming:

    I like to refer to the rates on a Certificate of Deposit (CD). 

    Example: 

    If CDs are offering 4% interest, then your offer to the seller should be equal to or greater than 4%. If I was the one selling/financing the property, that would be my perspective. I'd need a reason to invest in you rather than a CD. For me, my reason would be "I'd rather make 5% on my money than 4%" However, every seller has their own perspective and different things that motivate them. 

    If ROI motivates them, I would share an illustration that simply shows them the benefits of seller financing rather than investing in a CD. I would highlight the pros of the installment sale and the higher return from seller financing.

    Figure out what motivates them and use that as your basis. 


     Ok yes thank you for the advice I think im going to start off offering a little more that the what the cds are offering. I would also like to wholesale the seller finance deal. Can I lease option a seller finance deal? or I was also thinking wholesaling the contract to another investor with a downpayment of like $5K and a higher interest rate like a lease option.Thats what im working on trying to figure out right now.  Thank you for getting back.

    I think the person who the seller is doing business with is a huge factor in getting a seller to finance the property. That said, I think you may have trouble getting into an agreement with a seller because the seller has no idea who will be responsible for paying and taking care of the property. 
    The seller is going to want some comfort in the deal. Comfort in who they are doing business with and comfort from a sizeable down payment. For example, if you guys get the deal done with a 5k down payment and then 6 months later you or the other person forecloses, who's to say there is not more than 5k worth of damage done to the property. Now the seller has to come out of pocket to repair the damages and still has the property he thought he sold 6 months ago. 
    With only 5k down, I think that is a risky deal for the seller. To justify the risk, I would have to really trust you, or the interest rate would have to be very high. 

    Why wholesale the deal? If it's a good buy and there is value in the financing, why not just keep it for yourself and rent it out for at least a year? When the market gets hot again, sale the house and make your chunk of change then. 
    I am currently in midst of something similar. I got a seller financed deal May 2023 and was going to flip the property. However, once I realized I'd have to pay short term capital gains tax, I decided to keep it for at least a year and when the market is piping hot again, I'm going to sell it.
    It sounds like you are getting some traction. Keep in mind you can put anything into the agreement so if he has some other concerns, put them in the agreement to give him that comfort. 
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kelby Schimming:
    Quote from @Alejandro Lozano:
    Quote from @Kelby Schimming:

    I like to refer to the rates on a Certificate of Deposit (CD). 

    Example: 

    If CDs are offering 4% interest, then your offer to the seller should be equal to or greater than 4%. If I was the one selling/financing the property, that would be my perspective. I'd need a reason to invest in you rather than a CD. For me, my reason would be "I'd rather make 5% on my money than 4%" However, every seller has their own perspective and different things that motivate them. 

    If ROI motivates them, I would share an illustration that simply shows them the benefits of seller financing rather than investing in a CD. I would highlight the pros of the installment sale and the higher return from seller financing.

    Figure out what motivates them and use that as your basis. 


     Ok yes thank you for the advice I think im going to start off offering a little more that the what the cds are offering. I would also like to wholesale the seller finance deal. Can I lease option a seller finance deal? or I was also thinking wholesaling the contract to another investor with a downpayment of like $5K and a higher interest rate like a lease option.Thats what im working on trying to figure out right now.  Thank you for getting back.

    I think the person who the seller is doing business with is a huge factor in getting a seller to finance the property. That said, I think you may have trouble getting into an agreement with a seller because the seller has no idea who will be responsible for paying and taking care of the property. 
    The seller is going to want some comfort in the deal. Comfort in who they are doing business with and comfort from a sizeable down payment. For example, if you guys get the deal done with a 5k down payment and then 6 months later you or the other person forecloses, who's to say there is not more than 5k worth of damage done to the property. Now the seller has to come out of pocket to repair the damages and still has the property he thought he sold 6 months ago. 
    With only 5k down, I think that is a risky deal for the seller. To justify the risk, I would have to really trust you, or the interest rate would have to be very high. 

    Why wholesale the deal? If it's a good buy and there is value in the financing, why not just keep it for yourself and rent it out for at least a year? When the market gets hot again, sale the house and make your chunk of change then. 
    I am currently in midst of something similar. I got a seller financed deal May 2023 and was going to flip the property. However, once I realized I'd have to pay short term capital gains tax, I decided to keep it for at least a year and when the market is piping hot again, I'm going to sell it.
    It sounds like you are getting some traction. Keep in mind you can put anything into the agreement so if he has some other concerns, put them in the agreement to give him that comfort. 

      I never thought about holding onto it but that makes alot of sense. seller finance repair and rent and when the market goes up sell it or just continue to hold onto it for the cash flow.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.