What investment formulas do I need for rental properties?

What investment formulas do I need for rental properties?

Investor · CT · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 28 votes

I am overwhelmed by the number of different formulas that are out there for rental property investing and I don't want to overpack for lack of better words my investing formula arsenal so I would like to know what ones are the best to use and why

The ones I currently use include: COC, NOI (and NIAF), Cap rate, ROR, ROI, and IRR=

But I also have heard of NPV, 

I am also not including any "rule formulas" aka 1% and 50% as those are simply guidelines to follow and not complicated formulas

Let me know if I am missing any or don't even need to use some of the ones I am using

Thank you,

Peyton LaBarbera

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 95 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peyton LaBarbera:

    I am overwhelmed by the number of different formulas that are out there for rental property investing and I don't want to overpack for lack of better words my investing formula arsenal so I would like to know what ones are the best to use and why

    The ones I currently use include: COC, NOI (and NIAF), Cap rate, ROR, ROI, and IRR=

    But I also have heard of NPV, 

    I am also not including any "rule formulas" aka 1% and 50% as those are simply guidelines to follow and not complicated formulas

    Let me know if I am missing any or don't even need to use some of the ones I am using

    Thank you,

    Peyton LaBarbera

    It depends what you are focusing on. For example I'm currently doing a BRRRR on my 2nd rental property. So I'm focusing on keywords like how much I put down for down-payment. How much is my rehab going to cost me when it's done. The ARV (after repair value) so I can do a cash out refinance. My COC return when completed. How much fair market rent I can charge. Let us know what strategy you have in mind and we can all help and guide you.
  • Investor · CT · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 28 votes
    2y

    I am focusing on the brrrr exit strategy as well but I guess I should have also mentioned that I am also interested in commercial real estate investing as well mainly apartment buildings since I can utilize forced appreciation better with increasing my NOI

    So I guess my question really is this... Do I really need all of these extra formulas for the brrrr strategy? And... Do I need all of these for commercial RE investing or no? 

  • Investor · CT · Member since 2023 · 141 posts · 28 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Peyton LaBarbera:

    I am focusing on the brrrr exit strategy as well but I guess I should have also mentioned that I am also interested in commercial real estate investing as well mainly apartment buildings since I can utilize forced appreciation better with increasing my NOI

    So I guess my question really is this... Do I really need all of these extra formulas for the brrrr strategy? And... Do I need all of these for commercial RE investing or no? 


     My commercial RE Investing strategy would be a mixture of buy and hold and brrrr

    And to add to the formulas I have heard of I would like to add break-even analysis on top of NPV

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.