Investor · West Palm Beach FL · Member since 2024 · 66 posts · 25 votes
Can you assume a mortgage on a conventional or FHA loan?
For example, the house is listed for $500k and it has $300k in mortgage left at 3%
Could I offer $500k and "assume" the mortgage of the seller?
So in conclusion, it would be financed as a conventional with 20% down ($100k), and out of the $400k, $300k will be at 3% and the remaining $100k will be at the current mortgage rate?
You can assume any government loan as long as you meet the requirements. For VA loans, I think I can speak for almost all of us in stating no veteran is likely going to let you assume the loan unless you also are a veteran and can use your VA loan entitlement. The VA loan benefit is one of the biggest perks of being a Veteran.
You can assume any government loan as long as you meet the requirements. For VA loans, I think I can speak for almost all of us in stating no veteran is likely going to let you assume the loan unless you also are a veteran and can use your VA loan entitlement. The VA loan benefit is one of the biggest perks of being a Veteran.
What if it's FHA or Conventional, are these assumable?
Also not sure how it would work as an investment, do you have to live in the property?
FHA loans are generally assumable. Talk to your agent and loan officer.
Do you know if assumable loans have prepayment penalties or balloon payments when they transfer? (Are the rules whatever is being assumed from the original buyer?)
You can assume any government loan as long as you meet the requirements. For VA loans, I think I can speak for almost all of us in stating no veteran is likely going to let you assume the loan unless you also are a veteran and can use your VA loan entitlement. The VA loan benefit is one of the biggest perks of being a Veteran.
What if it's FHA or Conventional, are these assumable?
Also not sure how it would work as an investment, do you have to live in the property?
Sorry, government loans are USDA, FHA, or VA. Conventional are not government loans ie not assumable. For government loans you would have to live in them.