Thoughts on Alabama as an initial spot to invest?

Thoughts on Alabama as an initial spot to invest?

Member since 2024 · 50 posts · 36 votes

Hello! 

Anyone have any thoughts on Alabama as a potential market? 

I know it is landlord friendly, low tax rates, affordable... 

Any insight?

TIA

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

AJ ExnerPro Member
Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
2y
Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
Quote from @AJ Exner:
Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
Quote from @AJ Exner:

Hey Natasha,

It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

Good luck!


 Thanks for the insight! 

I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

Thanks!! 


Do you have a credit score here in the US? Might have a few options for full leverage there, but if not, likely sitting at around 65% LTV on anything long-term/DSCR


 No credit score in the US! haha I know it puts me at a disadvantage but I think its still workable.


Disadvantage, but not impossible!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AJ ExnerPro Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
    2y

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2024 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    2y
    Quote from @AJ Exner:

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!


     Thanks for the insight! 

    I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

    Thanks!! 

  • AJ ExnerPro Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!


     Thanks for the insight! 

    I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

    Thanks!! 


    Do you have a credit score here in the US? Might have a few options for full leverage there, but if not, likely sitting at around 65% LTV on anything long-term/DSCR

  • Member since 2024 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    2y
    Quote from @AJ Exner:
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!


     Thanks for the insight! 

    I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

    Thanks!! 


    Do you have a credit score here in the US? Might have a few options for full leverage there, but if not, likely sitting at around 65% LTV on anything long-term/DSCR


     No credit score in the US! haha I know it puts me at a disadvantage but I think its still workable.

  • AJ ExnerPro Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 652 posts · 314 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!


     Thanks for the insight! 

    I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

    Thanks!! 


    Do you have a credit score here in the US? Might have a few options for full leverage there, but if not, likely sitting at around 65% LTV on anything long-term/DSCR


     No credit score in the US! haha I know it puts me at a disadvantage but I think its still workable.


    Disadvantage, but not impossible!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!


     Thanks for the insight! 

    I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

    Thanks!! 


    Do you have a credit score here in the US? Might have a few options for full leverage there, but if not, likely sitting at around 65% LTV on anything long-term/DSCR


     No credit score in the US! haha I know it puts me at a disadvantage but I think its still workable.

     You can get financing for american properties through most of the big 5 banks in Canada.  They use your Canadian credit score to qualify you.  Last time I borrowed it was min 20% down, I went with RBC USA bank.  They also charged a decent interest rate at the time (2011) which was 3%.

  • Member since 2024 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jenn Richardson:
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:
    Quote from @Natasha Rooney:
    Quote from @AJ Exner:

    Hey Natasha,

    It is a great place to start, plenty of inventory whether its for flipping, BRRR-ing, or holding at affordable prices while still having decent rents (with or without section 8)

    With that, it is a pretty competitive market. I would make sure you have a good team ready to go and be ready to pounce whenever the opportunity presents itself.

    From the lenders perspective, it can be kind of tricky because there are plenty of properties that cash flow well, but even fully-rehabbed they are less than 100k, which make them difficult to lend on. I am aware of a few options, but you would need to be aware before you get in too far to level with expectations.

    Good luck!


     Thanks for the insight! 

    I see that you are a lender - any input about getting financing as a cross-border investor? (I am Canadian) 

    Thanks!! 


    Do you have a credit score here in the US? Might have a few options for full leverage there, but if not, likely sitting at around 65% LTV on anything long-term/DSCR


     No credit score in the US! haha I know it puts me at a disadvantage but I think its still workable.

     You can get financing for american properties through most of the big 5 banks in Canada.  They use your Canadian credit score to qualify you.  Last time I borrowed it was min 20% down, I went with RBC USA bank.  They also charged a decent interest rate at the time (2011) which was 3%.


     Awesome, thanks!! I will look into that! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.