Hello Everyone,
Any Canadian real estate investors here?
Any chapters or groups from Canada?
Hello Everyone,
Any Canadian real estate investors here?
Any chapters or groups from Canada?
@Stevo Sun , great to see you here on Bigger Pockets! I’m based in Austin, TX, but I’ve worked with real estate investors across North America, including a few from Canada including a few from Calgary. While Canadian-specific groups aren't as prominent on Bigger Pockets, there's a thriving community of investors here who frequently collaborate across borders, especially when it comes to cross-border investing strategies and tax considerations.
If you’re interested in connecting with more Canadian investors, I’d recommend starting by joining the BP groups focused on international investing. You’ll find investors from Toronto, Vancouver, and other major Canadian cities who share their experiences about market conditions and regulations in Canada.
For formal groups or chapters, outside of BP, the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and local investment clubs are great places to connect with more like-minded investors. If you're specifically into networking with other Canadians who also consider U.S. properties, check out forums that focus on cross-border tax issues or financing strategies. It’s a niche, but a valuable one for Canadian investors looking to diversify into U.S. markets. I’ve personally seen a growing interest in U.S. vacation rentals and multifamily properties from Canadian investors who are looking for growth beyond the Canadian market.
P.S. Did you know that Canadian investors who own U.S. property for over 183 days in a year may be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes under the “Substantial Presence Test?” Make sure to check with a cross-border tax advisor on how this could impact your overall tax strategy.
There are quite a few Canadians. I'm in AB and have properties in BC and AB.
@Stevo Sun , great to see you here on Bigger Pockets! I’m based in Austin, TX, but I’ve worked with real estate investors across North America, including a few from Canada including a few from Calgary. While Canadian-specific groups aren't as prominent on Bigger Pockets, there's a thriving community of investors here who frequently collaborate across borders, especially when it comes to cross-border investing strategies and tax considerations.
If you’re interested in connecting with more Canadian investors, I’d recommend starting by joining the BP groups focused on international investing. You’ll find investors from Toronto, Vancouver, and other major Canadian cities who share their experiences about market conditions and regulations in Canada.
For formal groups or chapters, outside of BP, the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and local investment clubs are great places to connect with more like-minded investors. If you're specifically into networking with other Canadians who also consider U.S. properties, check out forums that focus on cross-border tax issues or financing strategies. It’s a niche, but a valuable one for Canadian investors looking to diversify into U.S. markets. I’ve personally seen a growing interest in U.S. vacation rentals and multifamily properties from Canadian investors who are looking for growth beyond the Canadian market.
P.S. Did you know that Canadian investors who own U.S. property for over 183 days in a year may be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes under the “Substantial Presence Test?” Make sure to check with a cross-border tax advisor on how this could impact your overall tax strategy.
Thanks Jasper for the information, yes, I'm interested in meeting Canadians here, whether they're investing in the US or in Canada, a lot of common interests on many fronts, taxes, that you mentioned is a big one of course.
There are quite a few Canadians. I'm in AB and have properties in BC and AB.
Do you know of any group(s) for Canadians here? or they are scattered between the different groups?
Hello Everyone,
Any Canadian real estate investors here?
Any chapters or groups from Canada?
@Stevo Sun thanks you for your response, when you say a group of Canadians, do you mean there are some Canadians here? or do you mean there is a group "for" Canadians? and if so, what is it called?
There are quite a few Canadians. I'm in AB and have properties in BC and AB.
Do you know of any group(s) for Canadians here? or they are scattered between the different groups?
There used to be one, but normally people post questions in the larger groups and simply add the location (usually Canada or the province) to the heading.
@Stevo Sun , great to see you here on Bigger Pockets! I’m based in Austin, TX, but I’ve worked with real estate investors across North America, including a few from Canada including a few from Calgary. While Canadian-specific groups aren't as prominent on Bigger Pockets, there's a thriving community of investors here who frequently collaborate across borders, especially when it comes to cross-border investing strategies and tax considerations.
If you’re interested in connecting with more Canadian investors, I’d recommend starting by joining the BP groups focused on international investing. You’ll find investors from Toronto, Vancouver, and other major Canadian cities who share their experiences about market conditions and regulations in Canada.
For formal groups or chapters, outside of BP, the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and local investment clubs are great places to connect with more like-minded investors. If you're specifically into networking with other Canadians who also consider U.S. properties, check out forums that focus on cross-border tax issues or financing strategies. It’s a niche, but a valuable one for Canadian investors looking to diversify into U.S. markets. I’ve personally seen a growing interest in U.S. vacation rentals and multifamily properties from Canadian investors who are looking for growth beyond the Canadian market.
P.S. Did you know that Canadian investors who own U.S. property for over 183 days in a year may be considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes under the “Substantial Presence Test?” Make sure to check with a cross-border tax advisor on how this could impact your overall tax strategy.
@Chad U. you’re on the right track, but let’s break it down a bit further. The “Substantial Presence Test” is indeed aimed at determining whether a non-U.S. citizen or resident alien is considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes. You’re correct that simply owning property in the U.S. doesn’t make someone a U.S. resident for tax purposes. The key factor is physical presence, which, as you mentioned, requires being in the U.S. for at least 183 days during the calendar year.
However, it’s essential to note that the substantial presence rule can apply to foreign property owners who spend extended time in the U.S. If a foreign investor is in the U.S. frequently or for extended periods, they could meet the criteria for this test and potentially face U.S. taxation on their worldwide income. So, foreign investors should be aware of their travel patterns and consult a cross-border tax advisor to avoid any surprises.
I'm originally from Canada and now in Florida. Would love to connect with fellow Canadians investing in the U.S.!
I'm originally from Canada and now in Florida. Would love to connect with fellow Canadians investing in the U.S.!
Hi Lauren,
Nice to meet you.