Good time to take out a HELOC ?

Good time to take out a HELOC ?

Matthew PlatonPro Member
NJ · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone ! 

I been thinking about taking out a HELOC on my current primary residence (Two family) . Is it a good idea ? Or should I look into other creative financing options? My two ideas are one to search/purchase another multi family unit and house hack. Or two make improvements to my current property. Such as upgrading the HVAC system in both units and other items that are value add and could increase rental income. I'm located in central NJ . Let me know your thoughts or idea's ! Thank you !

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2020 · 206 posts · 128 votes
1y

Remember that when you take out a HELOC, and draw from it, it counts as "debt" to your DTI ratio. Might sound obvious but people often tend to forget this. So ask yourself (or a lender), can you take out a HELOC and still qualify for the next owner occupied purchase.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    1y

    Hello Matthew, 
    HELOCs tend to have lower interest rates with greater payment flexibility. However, to purchase an investment property, a HELOAN may be better in order to leverage your assets, increase your income while sustaining your cash flow. Just make sure and run the numbers!

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
    • Matthew PlatonPro Member
      OP
      NJ · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Denise Supplee:

      Hello Matthew, 
      HELOCs tend to have lower interest rates with greater payment flexibility. However, to purchase an investment property, a HELOAN may be better in order to leverage your assets, increase your income while sustaining your cash flow. Just make sure and run the numbers!

      Hi Denise,

      Thank you for the tip and will look into the HELOAN option !
  • Shawn McenteerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Boonton Township, NJ · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Matthew Platon:

    Hello everyone ! 

    I been thinking about taking out a HELOC on my current primary residence (Two family) . Is it a good idea ? Or should I look into other creative financing options? My two ideas are one to search/purchase another multi family unit and house hack. Or two make improvements to my current property. Such as upgrading the HVAC system in both units and other items that are value add and could increase rental income. I'm located in central NJ . Let me know your thoughts or idea's ! Thank you !


     Hi Matthew, seeing this post now.  I commented on another thread you were...

    To answer your question this very property by property. I have been house hacking for over a decade in NJ and have dozens of house hacking clients. I will say the majority of the time HVAC does not produce significant ROI unless you already have a forced air system and you can tie the AC portion into the existing duct work. Also something else to consider is having open attic space and basement space if you are over under. Side by side tend to be little more difficult.

    I have used HELOC a few times on properties I was house hacking. It for sure tends to be best option. I am not a huge fan of REFI becuase it restarts the loan back to month 1 and for obvious reason if rates are higher. Happy to chat more and map out a plan with you, tough to give definitive answer without knowing more about situation but if you have the equity there tends to be a way to make HH number 2 happen.

    House Hacking New Jersey563 Reviews
    • Matthew PlatonPro Member
      OP
      NJ · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Shawn Mcenteer:
      Quote from @Matthew Platon:

      Hello everyone ! 

      I been thinking about taking out a HELOC on my current primary residence (Two family) . Is it a good idea ? Or should I look into other creative financing options? My two ideas are one to search/purchase another multi family unit and house hack. Or two make improvements to my current property. Such as upgrading the HVAC system in both units and other items that are value add and could increase rental income. I'm located in central NJ . Let me know your thoughts or idea's ! Thank you !


       Hi Matthew, seeing this post now.  I commented on another thread you were...

      To answer your question this very property by property. I have been house hacking for over a decade in NJ and have dozens of house hacking clients. I will say the majority of the time HVAC does not produce significant ROI unless you already have a forced air system and you can tie the AC portion into the existing duct work. Also something else to consider is having open attic space and basement space if you are over under. Side by side tend to be little more difficult.

      I have used HELOC a few times on properties I was house hacking. It for sure tends to be best option. I am not a huge fan of REFI becuase it restarts the loan back to month 1 and for obvious reason if rates are higher. Happy to chat more and map out a plan with you, tough to give definitive answer without knowing more about situation but if you have the equity there tends to be a way to make HH number 2 happen.


       Hi Shawn, 

      Thank you for the information! Yeah I'm leaning towards the HELCO then REFI because of my low interest rate . HVAC isn't a major issue being that I live on the downstairs unit. But once I move out of this unit I would like to have that split so there's no issues of heat or air.  Definitely would be interested in having a conversation if you have some availability! 

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    It's really a win-win to get the line of credit set up. There's an appraisal and annual maintenance fee, but then the money is ready to go when you need it. Way faster than a mortgage. It's a small cost for ready access to money. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Morristown, NJ · Member since 2020 · 206 posts · 128 votes
    1y

    Remember that when you take out a HELOC, and draw from it, it counts as "debt" to your DTI ratio. Might sound obvious but people often tend to forget this. So ask yourself (or a lender), can you take out a HELOC and still qualify for the next owner occupied purchase.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Jake Handler, I'm thinking this is not so for a home equity loan, because the payments are fixed.  Am I right?  I have not used a second mortgage...just curious.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.