out-of-state investing and currently exploring opportunities

out-of-state investing and currently exploring opportunities

Member since 2025 · 9 posts · 8 votes

Hey BP Community!

I'm based in California, and I'm just getting started on my real estate investing journey. I'm new to out-of-state investing and currently exploring opportunities in Texas and Arizona markets that offer solid cash flow and long-term potential.

I'm hoping to connect with experienced investors and local professionals to better understand:

  • Which cities or submarkets are investor-friendly

  • How to build a reliable out-of-state team (agents, PMs, contractors)

  • What to look out for as a first-time remote investor

  • Tips on financing, due diligence, and self-managing vs. hiring a PM

If you’re investing in Texas (outside of Austin) or Arizona and are open to sharing your insights, I’d love to learn from you and connect. I’m here to grow, help where I can, and build relationships with like-minded investors.

Feel free to comment or DM me—thanks in advance!

— Jay

3Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
1y

@Jay Ke,

Welcome to the BP community! You’re asking all the right questions, and it’s great to see you thinking long-term from the start. Both Texas and Arizona offer solid opportunities, especially if you're focused on cash flow, population growth, and landlord-friendly laws.

In Arizona, a lot of investors are looking at submarkets like Phoenix metro (especially the West Valley), Tucson, and even some smaller cities like Casa Grande or Maricopa. These areas have strong rent demand, reasonable taxes, and are still seeing healthy appreciation. Just make sure you're watching insurance costs, HOA restrictions, and short-term rental rules if you're exploring that route.


Best of luck,

Melissa

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2023 · 362 posts · 237 votes
    1y

    Hi, I have a portfolio of 8 doors across Memphis, Detroit and Seattle. So I don’t have experience in the markets you are targeting but I’m a seasoned investor and can help you with financing in those markets. Happy to chat about what’s worked for me as an investor and see if I can help you with financing as well. 

    • Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 20 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joseph Bui:

      Hi, I have a portfolio of 8 doors across Memphis, Detroit and Seattle. So I don’t have experience in the markets you are targeting but I’m a seasoned investor and can help you with financing in those markets. Happy to chat about what’s worked for me as an investor and see if I can help you with financing as well. 


       Hi Joseph, I would love to learn the market you mentioned too. I am actively looking for out-of-state markets to invest too. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio · Member since 2024 · 103 posts · 42 votes
    1y

    Hey Jay, welcome to the community!

    I'm based in San Antonio, Texas and work closely with out-of-state investors—especially those looking for cash-flowing opportunities in markets outside of Austin. San Antonio has been a strong target due to its affordability, growing population, and landlord-friendly environment. Houston and parts of Dallas also offer a range of submarkets with solid rental potential, depending on your investment goals.

    A few tips as you're building your out-of-state team:

    • Your local agent or wholesaler is key—they’re often your eyes and ears on the ground and can connect you with trusted PMs, contractors, inspectors, and lenders.

    • Interview multiple property managers to find someone aligned with your goals—some specialize in value-add, others prefer turnkey.

    • Watch for red flags like overly restrictive HOAs or cities with aggressive permitting/code enforcement.

    • On financing, a lot of out-of-state buyers are using DSCR loans for their rental deals since they're based on property income instead of personal DTI.

    If Texas ends up being a good fit for your strategy, I’d be happy to share what I’m seeing and connect you with some resources here.

    Wishing you the best as you get started!

  • Member since 2024 · 65 posts · 62 votes
    1y

    Jay,

    A couple additional things i'd add, as i just went through the process in the past year. 

    - I really like finding brokers that are also investors. Look for a realtor that has at least 10-15 units on their own. They can be great assets to help you avoid pitfalls. Also, i found most of my realtors through BP Agent finder, although some are better than others obviously, so interview a few. 

    - Look for areas where you can get cash flow & appreciation like the mid-west. I"m based on the east coast and people around my area purely buy for appreciation. I guess it all depends on how you want to bet on the market, but i'm not sure prices will continue to appreciate 10-15% a year in states like NJ and NY, so i want to make sure my deals generate some CF. I'm focusing in on Pittsburgh, Louisville & Cincy. 

    Good luck!

  • Melissa JusticeBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2024 · 518 posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Jay Ke,

    Welcome to the BP community! You’re asking all the right questions, and it’s great to see you thinking long-term from the start. Both Texas and Arizona offer solid opportunities, especially if you're focused on cash flow, population growth, and landlord-friendly laws.

    In Arizona, a lot of investors are looking at submarkets like Phoenix metro (especially the West Valley), Tucson, and even some smaller cities like Casa Grande or Maricopa. These areas have strong rent demand, reasonable taxes, and are still seeing healthy appreciation. Just make sure you're watching insurance costs, HOA restrictions, and short-term rental rules if you're exploring that route.


    Best of luck,

    Melissa

  • Mike DmuchoskiPro Member
    Realtor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2014 · 158 posts · 56 votes
    1y

    Hi Jay, welcome to the BP community! I specialize in homes with assumable mortgages in the Phoenix area, which have been quite successful for both me and my clients. Tapping into interest rates in the 2-4% range makes cash flow possible again, along with multiple other benefits.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.