Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11mo
I bought 3 houses new from a builder this year with below market 30 year financing, and have been offered more. After buying and selling more than 1,000 properties for my own inventory, my preference goes in this order: 1. buy existing property 2. buy new properties built by others, 3. build myself.
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 858 votes
10mo
Hi @Tracy Thielman!! Most of my investing goes toward my co-investing club these days, with that being said, we've done a mix over the years. We’ve seen good opportunities in both existing value-add acquisitions and select new builds, depending on the market. Personally, I like acquisitions right now for quicker cash flow, but ground-up can still make sense where demand and rent growth are strong. It really comes down to balancing timelines, risk, and return goals.
Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10mo
OP ground up. We do country subdivisions just the lots. Our market basis is tight supply thus a new build, also people wanting to move to the country side. 75 acres into 18 lots. This is our second subdivision. Would not do this if there was an oversupply of housing.
I looked at both options last year and ended up buying existing. Holding costs, permits, and delays with new builds made it hard to pencil out unless I already owned land.