Is house hacking with 6 roommates considered a lodging house in boston?

Is house hacking with 6 roommates considered a lodging house in boston?

Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hi,

I'm just starting to look for my first property and I came across a 2 family with a 7 bedroom unit. When I was running numbers, ChatGPT suggested that having 6 roommates could be considered a lodging house and require a special license. Can anyone confirm?  I'm looking in Boston.

Thanks!

Ryan

1Reply
56 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    10mo

    Hi @Ryan Tobin from my understanding In Boston, a lodging house license is generally required if you rent to four or more unrelated people. If all the roommates live together as a single household under one lease, it usually isn’t considered a lodging house. Renting rooms individually to six unrelated people would likely trigger the licensing requirement. It’s a good idea to confirm with the city or a local attorney before moving forward to avoid any compliance issues.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10mo

    Thanks!

  • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10mo

    Hi Ryan, don’t only look into having roommate to offset you mortgage there are many alternative. I worked with a real estate agent that got me 50k grant for my first home. If you want his contact I be happy to share it.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.