How Do You Evaluate Whether a Deal Is Worth Financing?

How Do You Evaluate Whether a Deal Is Worth Financing?

Member since 2025 · 111 posts · 56 votes

For those who flip or buy rentals, what’s the first thing you look at when deciding if a deal is finance-worthy?

ARV? Rehab budget? Cash flow?

I want to understand how other investors approach the early evaluation stage.

0Reply
35 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9mo

    @Michael Santeusanio most of us take it from the angle of "What choice do I have?"  So, yeah, if you have millions of dollars at your disposal...then you can finance any transaction you want without financing.  If you are a like most of us, we have to leverage our properties as much as we can. We don't have a choice.

    Does that answer your question?

  • Realtor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 215 posts · 99 votes
    5mo

    Depends on risk tolerance but I like leverage too much. If I can find a MFH property that will cashflow with 5% down**, I am definitely pursuing. Of course I am only targeting appreciating neighborhoods = higher rents, ARVs, better tenant quality, etc. 

    **Cash flow when I move out of the house hack

    ----

    For DSCR loans, I have only purchased STRs so the cash flow has to be significant for me to pull the trigger.

    Personally, I would never do a DSCR on a LTR. Just feel like I can get better use of that money with other investing avenues

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.