Investor · Atlanta · Member since 2019 · 522 posts · 88 votes
Hi,
What is meaning of good School District area meaning for rental property purchase as I keep hearing, reading this. What number it mean in scale of 1-10. What other factors inflence that. As long as school rating above certain number good area to buy rental property. Please advise
A “good school district” usually means the schools score above average for the state and the area attracts stable, long-term tenants and stronger resale demand.
On common 1–10 rating sites like GreatSchools, 7–10 is considered above average, so many investors treat 7+ as a rough benchmark for “good,” while also checking crime, rents, employment, and local demand.
School rating alone shouldn’t decide the deal; smart investors also look at:
Rent-to-price ratio and cash flow
Tenant pool (families vs students vs young professionals)
Neighborhood safety and amenities
Property condition and long-term appreciation potential.
Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9mo
I agree with @Victoria OHare about the school ratings. In general, where schools have a higher rating, the crime rate is lower and desirability of rentals is positive. Of course, you must do your research.
I tend to shy away from areas that have low school ratings. You can still make money in them, but I prefer B and upper area. The lower the school rating, the higher the crime. That does not mean it doesn’t make money, it just takes more effort of your time. I have owned in C neighborhoods, it just takes a little more management then B and up neighborhoods.
You can make money in any market if you buy right.