What Do You Wish You Knew Before Your First Note Deal?

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Barbara Johannsen:

    Looking back, what’s one thing you wish you had known before buying or selling your first real estate note?

    Notes are a promise to pay. If the don't pay, you have to foreclose, perhaps the toughest part of investing. Therefore I don't invest in notes, I invest in something solid, real estate.
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8mo

    That BPOs aren't worth the paper they're printed on. We learned that quickly. Agents often filch old pics from the MLS. I remember several years ago visiting holdings in STL when I visited a vacant lot from a house that burned down years before, but the recent BPO showed the house still standing. Don't trust ANYTHING you're presented in the file...verify everything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.