How to build a network for deal flow

How to build a network for deal flow

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 3 votes

I am a 23 year old real estate investor in Wisconsin, and purchased my first property in April of 2025. I'm on track to have the funds to purchase another property in my buy box I've defined by the end of this year hopefully, but I'm working in advance in order to prepare a network for myself in order to find better deals faster and easier. I have a realtor that sends me mls listings, which is how I acquired my first property. 

But I was looking to get into off market deal flow as in my area; most homes are older than what I'd like to purchase off the MLS (I'd like 1940s or newer, most proprrties for sale in my area were built between then and the 1880s). There are good quality deals on the MLS, but usually get bought up pretty quick that are in my buy box, so I'd simply like access to more opportunities to find deals.

I was wondering how an experienced investor builds up their network of people they get deals / advice from. I've heard a variety of ways people network to find deals, from going to meet ups to talking to local realtors or brokers in their town. So far, I have done the following methods to try and network:

- gone to realtor offices around my town and letting them know I'm an investor and gave them my buy box. I also asked some questions and got some good insights into my market this way, but realtors don't seem too keen to work with someone that isnt gonna buy something relatively soon, which I totally understand

- tried to research and search for meetups locally, but have had little success with this

any other methods anyone would like to share for building up a real estate network for finding better deals would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones.

3Reply
148 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Jackson Lemerond:

I am a 23 year old real estate investor in Wisconsin, and purchased my first property in April of 2025. I'm on track to have the funds to purchase another property in my buy box I've defined by the end of this year hopefully, but I'm working in advance in order to prepare a network for myself in order to find better deals faster and easier. I have a realtor that sends me mls listings, which is how I acquired my first property. 

But I was looking to get into off market deal flow as in my area; most homes are older than what I'd like to purchase off the MLS (I'd like 1940s or newer, most proprrties for sale in my area were built between then and the 1880s). There are good quality deals on the MLS, but usually get bought up pretty quick that are in my buy box, so I'd simply like access to more opportunities to find deals.

I was wondering how an experienced investor builds up their network of people they get deals / advice from. I've heard a variety of ways people network to find deals, from going to meet ups to talking to local realtors or brokers in their town. So far, I have done the following methods to try and network:

- gone to realtor offices around my town and letting them know I'm an investor and gave them my buy box. I also asked some questions and got some good insights into my market this way, but realtors don't seem too keen to work with someone that isnt gonna buy something relatively soon, which I totally understand

- tried to research and search for meetups locally, but have had little success with this

any other methods anyone would like to share for building up a real estate network for finding better deals would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones.


Jackson, the most effective approach I've EVER used to find quality off-market deals is "tired landlords."

It's been WAY faster than pre-foreclosures, easier than expired listings, and less work than driving for dollars!

We reach out to property owners who have filed for eviction against non-paying tenants.

We look for cases where the unpaid balance is large (3 months of rent or more), and approach these obviously struggling landlords with an offer to get them paid and free of tenant stress.

HOWEVER...

This strategy ONLY works if your local city/county court system provides online access to the required case data. You'll need names, addresses, dollar amounts, case status, etc.

Some counties DO provide this data, but many DON'T!

We've had HUGE success in Metro Atlanta (GA) and also Tulsa (OK).

(For example, I can hop online from anywhere in the world and see who filed eviction in Tulsa County for FREE!)

Google search "<your county> eviction filing" to get started.

Thank me later!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Jackson Lemerond:

    I am a 23 year old real estate investor in Wisconsin, and purchased my first property in April of 2025. I'm on track to have the funds to purchase another property in my buy box I've defined by the end of this year hopefully, but I'm working in advance in order to prepare a network for myself in order to find better deals faster and easier. I have a realtor that sends me mls listings, which is how I acquired my first property. 

    But I was looking to get into off market deal flow as in my area; most homes are older than what I'd like to purchase off the MLS (I'd like 1940s or newer, most proprrties for sale in my area were built between then and the 1880s). There are good quality deals on the MLS, but usually get bought up pretty quick that are in my buy box, so I'd simply like access to more opportunities to find deals.

    I was wondering how an experienced investor builds up their network of people they get deals / advice from. I've heard a variety of ways people network to find deals, from going to meet ups to talking to local realtors or brokers in their town. So far, I have done the following methods to try and network:

    - gone to realtor offices around my town and letting them know I'm an investor and gave them my buy box. I also asked some questions and got some good insights into my market this way, but realtors don't seem too keen to work with someone that isnt gonna buy something relatively soon, which I totally understand

    - tried to research and search for meetups locally, but have had little success with this

    any other methods anyone would like to share for building up a real estate network for finding better deals would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing some obvious ones.


    Jackson, the most effective approach I've EVER used to find quality off-market deals is "tired landlords."

    It's been WAY faster than pre-foreclosures, easier than expired listings, and less work than driving for dollars!

    We reach out to property owners who have filed for eviction against non-paying tenants.

    We look for cases where the unpaid balance is large (3 months of rent or more), and approach these obviously struggling landlords with an offer to get them paid and free of tenant stress.

    HOWEVER...

    This strategy ONLY works if your local city/county court system provides online access to the required case data. You'll need names, addresses, dollar amounts, case status, etc.

    Some counties DO provide this data, but many DON'T!

    We've had HUGE success in Metro Atlanta (GA) and also Tulsa (OK).

    (For example, I can hop online from anywhere in the world and see who filed eviction in Tulsa County for FREE!)

    Google search "<your county> eviction filing" to get started.

    Thank me later!

  • Clare PitcherBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2024 · 162 posts · 97 votes
    8mo

    Hi Jackon! What part of Wisconsin are you in? I am in Milwaukee and there are a ton of real estate meetup groups. I found a lot of them on Facebook and on the site MeetUp. Lastly Bigger Pockets has a sections for "Events" that you can filter by location. I have heard good things of people finding off market deals from the group Cheesy Investors. Not sure how close this would be to you, but I would join their facebook group!

    Welcome Home Milwaukee4.4454 Reviews
  • Wholesaler · Portsmouth NH · Member since 2019 · 209 posts · 96 votes
    8mo

    Hey Jackson, great to see you taking action.
    The issue may be that waiting for realtors to bring you deals means you're competing with everyone else they know. I recommend also generating your own deal flow.
    What worked for us is:

    1. Go direct to sellers, pull data from PropStream or PropWire (free option) for properties in your buy box (1945-1880s built). Filter for absentee owners, high equity, older owners. Then text and call them directly.

    2. Drive around neighborhoods you want to buy in, find distressed properties, skip trace the owners, and reach out. This is how we found some of our best deals.

    3. Facebook groups and local REI meetups, most Wisconsin markets have active REI groups. Even if meetups are small, one solid connection can change everything.

    4. Connect with active wholesalers in your area and give them your exact buy box. They'll bring you deals before they hit the MLS.

      Hope this helps. These are some other strategies to consider on to get more deals faster!

    1. Bo SmithPro Member
      Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
      8mo

      Nice work getting started at 23! For off-market in smaller Wisconsin markets, driving for dollars is honestly your best bet - you'll find way more 1940s+ properties that aren't hitting MLS yet. Look for distressed signals like overgrown yards, boarded windows, maybe some code violations. The thing is, most deals actually happen on follow-up touches 3-7, not the first contact. What's your game plan for staying on these owners once you track them down?

    2. Diana KhanPro Member
      Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 483 posts · 177 votes
      8mo

      Hi! I'm Diana. Great job getting started at 23. Since the MLS is moving too fast for your "buy box," you might try networking with property managers who handle older portfolios. From an attorney's perspective, I've found that solving "problem" titles is a great way to find off-market deals. Let's connect!

      • Bo SmithPro Member
        Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
        8mo
        Quote from @Diana Khan:

        Hi! I'm Diana. Great job getting started at 23. Since the MLS is moving too fast for your "buy box," you might try networking with property managers who handle older portfolios. From an attorney's perspective, I've found that solving "problem" titles is a great way to find off-market deals. Let's connect!


    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.