The Hidden Upside in Campground & RV Park Development

The Hidden Upside in Campground & RV Park Development

New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 8 votes

The deeper I get into building a campground from the ground up, the more I realize how misunderstood this asset class is — especially by investors who only look at traditional real estate.

Most people think campgrounds are just “land with hookups.”
Operators know better. Investors who’ve actually run the numbers know better too.

What makes this niche interesting isn’t just the demand (which is strong), or the margins (which can be excellent), but the control you have over the outcome if you build it the right way.

In a phased development model, the biggest value drivers happen long before the first guest checks in:

  • choosing land with the right zoning path
  • designing infrastructure that can scale without rework
  • sequencing buildout so the project pays for its own growth
  • matching site mix to real demand, not assumptions
  • building a guest experience that earns repeat stays, not just bookings

Once those pieces are right, the downside shrinks fast.
You’re not relying on one tenant type, one lease structure, or one rent assumption. You’re spreading revenue across nightly, weekly, monthly, and seasonal stays — plus cabins, glamping, and ancillary income.

That’s why I’ve committed to this space.
I’m developing a phased campground now, and the more I build, the more I see how much opportunity exists for people who understand both the real estate and the operational side.

I’m curious to hear from others who’ve been in this world:

If you’ve owned, operated, or invested in campgrounds or RV parks —
what ended up being the real driver of returns for you?
Was it the land, the operations, or the way the project was structured from day one?

0Reply
74 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2025 · 204 posts · 101 votes
    7mo

    I always enjoy seeing this topic come up because campgrounds and RV parks are a niche many investors overlook or misunderstand. After more than 25 years as a mortgage loan officer and real estate investor, I can say these are rarely just land investments. You are typically buying an operating business backed by real estate, and that distinction is important.

    What makes this asset class stand out is demand. RV travel and outdoor tourism have remained strong, and in the right markets that can support steady occupancy. A well-located and well-managed park can produce consistent income in ways that surprise investors who are only familiar with traditional rentals.

    The revenue model is also different. Many parks earn from a mix of nightly, weekly, monthly, and seasonal stays. That creates multiple income streams instead of relying on one lease structure. When managed well, that diversification can help balance revenue throughout the year.

    There is also a value-add angle that can be educational for newer investors. A number of parks are still run by long-time owners who have not fully modernized the property. Improving utilities, site layouts, amenities, or adding cabins and glamping options can increase revenue if the market supports it. Investors who really study operations often uncover opportunity here.

    From a financing standpoint, these are usually treated as commercial or business-purpose properties. Lenders tend to focus on the income history, occupancy, and management plan. It is less about comparable sales and more about how the business performs.

    I also like to be realistic with investors and say this is not passive ownership. You are in the hospitality space. Guest experience, management, and seasonality all play a role. The operators who approach it like a business tend to do the best.

    For many investors, buying an existing, stabilized park with documented income can be a more predictable entry point than building from the ground up. Development can work, but it requires strong planning, capital, and patience.

    The upside often comes from improving operations and increasing revenue, not just appreciation. For the right investor, it can be a very rewarding niche.

    If someone is considering this space, it helps to ask yourself:

    • Do I want an active business or a passive investment

    • Do I understand the operational side of hospitality

    • Am I prepared for seasonality and management demands

    • Do the numbers work beyond optimistic projections

    • Do I have the right team and financing structure in place

    Those answers usually bring a lot of clarity before moving forward.

  • New to Real Estate · NJ · Member since 2025 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    7mo

    @Ebonie Beaco

    Really appreciate this perspective it lines up with what I’m seeing as I work through my own phased development.

    The front‑loaded decisions feel like the real fork in the road. Zoning, septic capacity, utility layout, road placement… those choices either lock in long‑term upside or lock in long‑term headaches. Once those pieces are right, the operational side becomes far more predictable than people assume.

    What's surprised me most is how much leverage there is in the mix of sites and the guest experience. Small adjustments in layout, pricing strategy, or accommodation types can move NOI way more than cap rate movement ever could.

    I’m curious what you’ve seen on your end were there any early decisions you made that ended up having an outsized impact once the park was stabilized?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.